ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language confusion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

evil_grrrl666

English Language confusion

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

After my husband went to apply for citizenship through the nationality checking service with the local council, an issue was brought up and it's made me hugely confused.

Apparently we were supposed to get his degree assessed for whether it matches a bachelor's degree AND English language? I don't understand the point of this. The English language assessment says it's at C1 CEFR or whatever it is, which is higher than the B1 CEFR qualification mentioned here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ts/85-koll so why do they need both the assessments from NARIC? Shouldn't the English language assessment on its own sufficiently prove he knows enough English? The NARIC website etc. also don't make it clear and when I phoned them for advice before paying them for the assessment I had explained why we were getting it. At no point was I told that both assessments were needed. It seems like a great big money making scheme to me.

In any case, they flagged the issue at the council but accepted the application anyway saying that it should be fine since it's obviously a bachelor's degree. Let's hope whoever looks at the application at the UKBA doesn't want to be difficult about it.

Good luck to everyone going through the same thing.

Laura