ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant English requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

h200123

Dependant English requirement

Post by h200123 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi,

I am on Tier 1 and going to apply for ILR soon. I have done MSC from UK so I dont have any problem of English test as its exempt but I am worried about my wife. She has done BSC (Hons) in Computer science from Pakistan. I have tried UKba points calculator but I did not get points for english but do you think I should apply to UK NARIC to compare the degree if that degree is equivalent to UK degree then she does not need english test? Can somebody tell what should I do, thanks

SSWSZ
Member of Standing

Re: Dependant English requirement

Post by SSWSZ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm

My qualification is same BCS in computer science .i called naric and they confirm that my degree is equals bachelor degree of uk but I never applied for comparison because to be on safe side I did pet test which cost 70 pound .if you call them and tell them all the qualification they will guide you

h200123 wrote:Hi,

I am on Tier 1 and going to apply for ILR soon. I have done MSC from UK so I dont have any problem of English test as its exempt but I am worried about my wife. She has done BSC (Hons) in Computer science from Pakistan. I have tried UKba points calculator but I did not get points for english but do you think I should apply to UK NARIC to compare the degree if that degree is equivalent to UK degree then she does not need english test? Can somebody tell what should I do, thanks
ss

h200123

Post by h200123 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:39 pm

But if the degree is equivalent to UK degree then why points calculator does not give points for english?

Any Guru/Amber can you please explain???

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Because it sometimes doesn't, usually because they're not sure if degrees are always taught in English.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:25 pm

If you get 30 points in UKBA calculator then you should be fine. Which university is it? In Lahore or Islamabad?

h200123

Post by h200123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm

It is BSc(Hons) Computer Science 4 years from Punjab University Lahore.

Its not about 30 points as its for my wife not for me so she does not need any point..Only the problem that does she need to take an English test or not with that degree?

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm

h200123 wrote:It is BSc(Hons) Computer Science 4 years from Punjab University Lahore.

Its not about 30 points as its for my wife not for me so she does not need any point..Only the problem that does she need to take an English test or not with that degree?
Yar you should be fine. Don't worry. Get Statement of Comparability from NARIC and letter of medium of instruction from Punjab University. The letter should clearly state that the degree was taught in English. To fulfil English language requirement applicant should have British Bachelor equivalent degree.

Submit these two documents and your wife should be fine. Many people even got ILR without NARIC letter and they just submitted print out from online calculator that shows that degree is giving 30 points.

It doesn't matter if it's you or your wife. You both can show online calculator 30 points to claim English language points.

NOTE: I would advise you to get NARIC letter for the safe side.

If you still have confusion then read ukba official document

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

OR private message me. I'm also from Lahore.

h200123

Post by h200123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Ok great.

Thanks for your help.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 am

h200123 wrote:Hi,

If UKNaric statement of comparability indicates that the degree is equivalent to UK bachelors degree and you have a letter from University stating that the degree taught in English, then it should be fine. Otherwise she needs to do the English language test.
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================