ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kylea
Newly Registered

National Insurance Number

Post by Kylea » Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 am

Hiya! I'm currently on the Spouse visa and seeking work, but applications and employers keep asking for my NI number, which I know I won't have until after I apply for permanent residence.

My question is, what number on my visa (if any) do I use instead? They've all just taken a photocopy of the visa as they are unsure what to do as well. The same question applies for items asking for my NHS number. Is there a number on my visa I should use, such as my visa number or my passport number?

Thanks in advance!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Thu May 24, 2007 12:25 am

Kylea, you do not have to hold permanent residence to apply for a NI number. Just make an appointment for applying for one with the local JobCentre+ and take in your passport with the spouse visa, proof of address and a couple of rejection letter stating that you applied but was not successful for obtaining the job(in case you haven't found a job) or the letter of employement(if you found a job) and you should be able to get the NI number. When calling for arranging the interview do mention that you are looking for work and still haven't found any, if appropriate.

As for the NHS number, register with your local GP as you are eligible to under the spouse visa and they will send you the NHS number within a month.
Jabi