ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for EEA3 as a student

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stinkyfax
Newly Registered

Applying for EEA3 as a student

Post by stinkyfax » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:36 am

Hello,

I am applying for permanent residence using EEA3 form (to later apply for naturalization).

After reading Chapter 6: permanent residence (http://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio ... structions) I am lost on next subject:
I have been a student from 2008 to 2013 (2010-2011 placement year) and was hoping to use it as a proof of residing in UK for 5 years.

Document states that since 2011 June I am required to have a Comprehensive Health Insurance as a proof of living in UK.

Questions:
1. Is there a work-around, as I have been studying since 2008? Document chapter 6 states that I could use my Residence Registration as an alternative, but I fear I do not have it neither.
2. Being registered in NHS is not sufficient enough?
3. Any suggestions on how I could prove my living in UK as a student as I did not have Comprehensive health insurance that time?

Thank you in advance for any of your thoughts and ideas.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Applying for EEA3 as a student

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 pm

If you were a student you need to have private health insurance for the duration of your studies (without employment). The ways to get around it:
1. If you worked during studies as workers don't need insurance.
2. If you had private health insurance.
3. If you have a non-UK EHIC or can produce a letter from the health authoristies in your home country that you have been covered by them during studies
4. If you are a family member of a working (in the UK) EEA national (your wife/parents).
5. If you applied (although not mandatory) for a Registration Certificate as a student.

Otherwise, your student years don't count for PR under the EEA Regulations (this has nothing to do with NHS). Without a PR status, you are not elgibile for naturalisation.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

stinkyfax
Newly Registered

Post by stinkyfax » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Thank you for the information, Jambo.

I had EHIC for the some but not all years.
Would I be able to claim these years towards my '5 years requirement', or they have to be without a significant gap in-between?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

It needs to be 5 continuous years. If you had EHIC, maybe you can get a letter of coverage from your health authorities. There have been several reports here of people satisfying the HO with such a letter.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

stinkyfax
Newly Registered

Post by stinkyfax » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:33 am

Got you, thanks for clearing things out.

tobakos1
Newly Registered

Post by tobakos1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:11 pm

based on the statement in chapter 6 does that mean that if one was issued with a registration certificate prior to June 2011, they would not need to have comprehensive sickness insurance?