ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 Visa expiring! :(

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jake9319
Newly Registered

Tier 5 Visa expiring! :(

Post by jake9319 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:39 pm

I am an Australian citizen currently living in London on a tier 5 (Youth Mobility) Visa. This is a 24 month visa which expires on October this year. I wish to apply for another visa that will allow me to stay within the UK for around another 24 months. According to the website I am unable to extend the type of visa I have

My mother has both an Australian and British passport although was not born in the UK but is currently living here. My Father and Grandfather are both British citizens but both reside in Australia.

Can anyone please tell me about any options I have in regards to extending my stay?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 5 Visa expiring! :(

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:38 pm

If your father is British and was born in the UK and was married to your mother at the time of your birth, you are automatically British by descent.

The other alternative is a UK Ancestry visa through your Grandfather, but you cannot apply for this within the UK and would have to apply from Australia.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Tier 5 Visa expiring! :(

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Hi Jake,
I suggest posting this query in the British Citizenship forum. Given the circumstances, you may either already be British by descent or may be eligible for citizenship by registration. The moderators on that forum, particularly Amber, are very helpful in their guidance.
I would also suggest going through this site to see if any of the options here apply.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/British_C ... y_child.3F
We will also need more details to assist you further.
For instance,
a) Which year were you born in? Citizenship laws have changed quite a lot in the past and being born in certain years may give you certain advantages/disadvantages.
b) Is your father British by descent or otherwise than by descent?
c) Was your father married to your mother at the time of your birth?