ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA app for British Citizenship - past unemployment

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

miamia81
Newly Registered

EEA app for British Citizenship - past unemployment

Post by miamia81 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:27 am

Hello

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find any direct answer to this question and am also quite new to finding out about the process (and slightly confused about it!)..

I would like to apply for British Citizenship and my two main questions are:
1. Do I need to apply for PR/ILTR before applying for British Citizenship?
2. Can I apply for British Citizenship although I have had periods of unemployment in the last 6 years?

I am an EEA national who has lived in the UK for 10 years this September. Four of those were spent in undergraduate and postgraduate degrees alongside continuous part-time employment. I passed my MPhil in autumn 2008 and struggled to find a permanent job until September 2009 and worked in temporary jobs, part-time jobs, was briefly unemployed, supported by my parents and my partner at the time. I left this job in February 2010 and was unemployed until June 2010, supporting myself from savings and my family/partner. I have been in full-time employment since June 2010 and never claimed benefits.

Will these periods of unemployment go against me and not count towards my 'period of exercising treaty rights''? Is there any point applying now considering the issue of unemployment 4 years ago, although I have lived here since 2004?

missfof9
Newly Registered

Re: EEA app for British Citizenship - past unemployment

Post by missfof9 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:35 am

Hi there,

I applied for British Citizenship recently as an EEA national exercising Treaty rights for more than 6 years.

The thing is I applied for the resident card in 2011 as the same time as my husband was applying for ILR. But when I went to the Nationality Checking service for my application the guy said I didn't have to as I have been exercising treaty rights for more than 6 years through employment (I have been employed in the same company since 2007).

Now in your case it is a bit different, I suppose if you have letter from Jobseekers allowance, Any benefits you were receiving etc.. it should be fine to cover the unemployment period.

Also letter from your University to show that you were studying in 2008. And all P60s you have since 2008.

Hope this helps.

maxmelion

Re: EEA app for British Citizenship - past unemployment

Post by maxmelion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:52 pm

It happen to my wife wheb she applied for her BR nd we paid 100 pound for one hour lawyer nd the answer was easy . My wife was here for 8 years nd she wss unemployed for 6 month whithin tht period so all u have to do prove u was in uk within tht 6 mothh so they dnt care if u worked or not but all they care tht u havnt leave uk in tht period nd my wife provid her mobile bills nd she BR without eea3

miamia81 wrote:Hello

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find any direct answer to this question and am also quite new to finding out about the process (and slightly confused about it!)..

I would like to apply for British Citizenship and my two main questions are:
1. Do I need to apply for PR/ILTR before applying for British Citizenship?
2. Can I apply for British Citizenship although I have had periods of unemployment in the last 6 years?

I am an EEA national who has lived in the UK for 10 years this September. Four of those were spent in undergraduate and postgraduate degrees alongside continuous part-time employment. I passed my MPhil in autumn 2008 and struggled to find a permanent job until September 2009 and worked in temporary jobs, part-time jobs, was briefly unemployed, supported by my parents and my partner at the time. I left this job in February 2010 and was unemployed until June 2010, supporting myself from savings and my family/partner. I have been in full-time employment since June 2010 and never claimed benefits.

Will these periods of unemployment go against me and not count towards my 'period of exercising treaty rights''? Is there any point applying now considering the issue of unemployment 4 years ago, although I have lived here since 2004?