ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I Need NARIC Evaluation

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

forhsmp2007
Newly Registered

Do I Need NARIC Evaluation

Post by forhsmp2007 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi guys,

I am a newbie to this whole process. Would appreciate your help.

I have a Bachelor of Engineering from India and Masters from US (from a well known university). Do I need a NARIC evaluation certificate before I apply for HSMP?

Thank you in advance!

hnbird
Newly Registered

Post by hnbird » Thu May 31, 2007 12:37 am

forhsmp2007--

I emailed the HSMP team, and they said that although they state 'to get verification from NARIC', they will actually do it at the HSMP office. However, I am going to get documentation from NARIC anyway because it might be needed at some point in the future anyway.
good luck--hnbird

forhsmp2007
Newly Registered

Post by forhsmp2007 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:00 am

Thanks a lot! I read elsewhere in the forum that for academic qualifications we do not need to get NARIC evaluation. Only for professional degrees is it required.

Thanks again!

debz

Post by debz » Thu May 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi forhsmp2007,

NARIC evaluation is not mandatory. It is true that they will be mapping it to British degree, in any case. You should be sure about the points that you are claiming.

If the claiming-point is on the borderline (after considering the greater degree), it is better to get the evaluation done. In case, the degree is equivalent to the lower degree after mapping, in that case the candidate does not qualify for HSMP, at all and thus after evaluation, he/she should not apply. Hence, his greater chunk of money is saved which would have been spend else in filing the application.

So, judge your case and take a call.
Regards,
Debjani.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu May 31, 2007 1:45 pm

Indeed, it is not mandatory. But you need to be 100% sure that your degree is recognised.

Actually NARIC have the NARIC databese of recognised university, yoour company also could get it by purchsing from NARIC e.g it costs around £ 850. If your university AND your study program appear in this database then you do not need to worry nor require a comparability letter.

Some companies whose employees reasonable number of foreigner have purchased this database from NARIC.

Hope this clarify the matter.

Pantaiema
debz wrote:Hi forhsmp2007,

NARIC evaluation is not mandatory. It is true that they will be mapping it to British degree, in any case. You should be sure about the points that you are claiming.

If the claiming-point is on the borderline (after considering the greater degree), it is better to get the evaluation done. In case, the degree is equivalent to the lower degree after mapping, in that case the candidate does not qualify for HSMP, at all and thus after evaluation, he/she should not apply. Hence, his greater chunk of money is saved which would have been spend else in filing the application.

So, judge your case and take a call.
Last edited by pantaiema on Thu May 31, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forhsmp2007
Newly Registered

Post by forhsmp2007 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I have a Master of Science degree from a well known university in US. Do you think there is a chance they may not recognize it?

Thanks.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Regarding your question aboout the chance:

"Although not high but the chance is still there" why:
1. Remember that many HSMP caseworkers are not educated to the degree level so while many people know about, MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Pensylvania, Yale, etc, caseworkers working on your case do not necessary know about these universities.

2. They might make mistake and overlooked/missed what are in the NARIC database. Of course, if you are from the above US unversities and got rejected you will defenitely win if you ask for reivew, but you will loose the time and effort for review.

If I were you and graduated from the aforementioned US universities, or the like I would not bother to ask for NARIC assessment. But you are asking about the chance. And my answer is that the chance is still there (very small but still posssible).

You have got all information you need, now it is up to you to decide it.

Pantaiema
forhsmp2007 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I have a Master of Science degree from a well known university in US. Do you think there is a chance they may not recognize it?

Thanks.

django5
Newly Registered

Naric

Post by django5 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:55 pm

I have a Master degree from a French School of Engineering. I was 100% sure they will consider it as a MS so was surprised to be refused this points.

Than I send my diploma to Naric and get an evidence that it recognized as a Master degree. Too much money and time lost. Now I must pay again.

So guys, I'm not so sure the hsmp caseworkers are really motivated by getting verification from NARIC. If they have any doubt and you didn't provide an evidence so they just refuse.