ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British&Dutch nationality, apply PR? Comprehensive insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Careyleeuk1118
Newly Registered

British&Dutch nationality, apply PR? Comprehensive insurance

Post by Careyleeuk1118 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am

Dear Sir / Madam,

My husband has british and dutch nationality.

I applied EEA2 residence card on the 27th of December 2013, because apply from British citizen is more difficult.
I have received my EEA family residence card for 5 years on the 3rd of March 2014.
When I applied my visa, my husband was self-sufficient and was still searching for a job.
In this case the conditions were that we both have comprehensive health insurance.

My husband has started a new job on 10 March 2014 thus paying national insurance.
In what way does this change our situation with regards to insurance.
Can my husband end his comprehensive health insurance?

How will this affect my own situation as I will apply for a NI number next week?

I don't plan to get a job yet, will start a business in 2015.

My questions are
1. Can I cancel my husband comprehensive sickness insurance now? Or I have better keep his private insurance for 5 years.
2. Does it will effect my PR apply after 5 years if I stop his private insurance?
3. I applied residence card from EEA2, but Because my husband is also british citizen, can I apply british citizen after 3 years?
4. Do I need to get national insurance if I don't plan to work soon? I have rental income, but I don't really like to pay national insurance fee?
I don't know how much will they change me, I couldn't find out.

toofan
Member of Standing

Re: British&Dutch nationality, apply PR? Comprehensive insur

Post by toofan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm

how did you apply for eea2 if your husband is british citizen is it under surinder singh route ?
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

maxmelion

Post by maxmelion » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:53 pm

U cant apply for pr after 3 year bcos ur husband is btitish tht law changed now on 2012
Careyleeuk1118 wrote:Dear Sir / Madam,

My husband has british and dutch nationality.

I applied EEA2 residence card on the 27th of December 2013, because apply from British citizen is more difficult.
I have received my EEA family residence card for 5 years on the 3rd of March 2014.
When I applied my visa, my husband was self-sufficient and was still searching for a job.
In this case the conditions were that we both have comprehensive health insurance.

My husband has started a new job on 10 March 2014 thus paying national insurance.
In what way does this change our situation with regards to insurance.
Can my husband end his comprehensive health insurance?

How will this affect my own situation as I will apply for a NI number next week?

I don't plan to get a job yet, will start a business in 2015.

My questions are
1. Can I cancel my husband comprehensive sickness insurance now? Or I have better keep his private insurance for 5 years.
2. Does it will effect my PR apply after 5 years if I stop his private insurance?
3. I applied residence card from EEA2, but Because my husband is also british citizen, can I apply british citizen after 3 years?
4. Do I need to get national insurance if I don't plan to work soon? I have rental income, but I don't really like to pay national insurance fee?
I don't know how much will they change me, I couldn't find out.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:19 pm

The EEA2 form has a specific question if the EEA national is also a British citizen. How did you answer that ? In general dual nationals (British and other EEA nationality) can not make use of the EEA regulations (unless under the Surinder Singh route).

In general once the EEA national is in employment there is no need for health insurance (for both EEA and non-EEA).

NI is not required if not working or claiming benefits.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm

if its under singh route as EEA2 is only for returning bc after exercising treaty rights .
than its 5years of residence required not 3 years for naturalization.
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Good point JAMBO, they could have gotten around that though by not using the non mandatory application form. I'm interested to know though because I am dual British/Irish and I have renounced BC. It makes me mad to think that the HO would issue a RC to a dual BC who hasn't renounced.

On the subject of paying tax on your rental income OP, according to the HMRC, you have to file a self assessment tax return if the income you receive is:
£10,000 or more from property (before deducting allowable expenses)
£2,500 or more from property (after deducting allowable expenses)

Details here - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 pm

If a dual national were not to use the EEA2 application form and, instead, put together their own application package, how do you think the HO would deal with that?

For many of us the potential right to British citizenship would be illustrated by our birth (mine in NI for example). But what about those who naturalized or got British citizenship from their parents, despite being born somewhere else?

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Indeed, CC you have interesting points. My Irish passport clearly states place of birth as GB. So regardless if the form was used, a question would be raised regarding if I hold BC. The only way to not have it come up would be if place of birth was outside the UK.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 pm

You're right. But I guess we shouldn't worry too much as long as we get our spouses sorted out!

It's an interesting point though. Not sure if the Home Office have access to some other database of citizenships...It must be a huge database if they do - it takes them ages to find our names when we renounce...You'd think that hitting 'delete' would be enough!

LunarGirl

Post by LunarGirl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

True! And we have to pay 187 quid for such a simple request :roll: