ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK salaries compared to USA

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raguraam
Newly Registered

UK salaries compared to USA

Post by raguraam » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm

I browsed through jobserv and planrecruit job sites and surprised to find so many well paying jobs in UK in the IT field. I have been working in IT field in USA for many years now and honestly I thought in general you get more salary in USA. If I have to believe what these sites tell me, then UK is at least equivalent to USA if not more.

I have seen many jobs paying around 60-70K GBP for my skill. That is $120-$140k USD in todays exchange rate. Very comparable. In some instances(80k GBP+benefits) I would say it is even more than NewYork salary. Am I missing anything here or I was just ignorant so long?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:45 am

Hi,

Well 60-70 K GBP is rare..(Depends on your skill set as well)..But avegare IT salary is 35-40 K...Bear in mind , there is a HUGE difference between Permanent and Contract rates...35-40 K is Permi salary, while in contracting sky is the limit..U can get 70 GBP/hour (which is 120 K per year!!!!)..

But yes, on an average UK salary is higer then US IT salary( i have stayed in UK and US and can vouch for that)...
But cost of living in UK is higher then in US, so u end up saving the same amount ;)
HTH!!
Ashish

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: UK salaries compared to USA

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Dear raguraam

I do not know what skills do you have> But what I coudl say is trhat Unless you work as director/manager I really doubt that people will get 60-70K in the UK for permanent job just to work as IT personal

- In the fisrt instance, you need to see where the information come from ?. From job agent ???? Many job agent put the maximum salary that you will get (up to xxx) in your career. This is just a trick for mining applicants. Some jobs even does not exist. In reality people would be if they get 2/3 of this if you fisrt join the company working as IT personal.

- The second thing is that is it a permanent job or contract JOB ?. In the UK people could get contract job which pay 30-50 GBP/hr but after 2-3 month (If not 1 month/2 weeks) they will be out of job and need time again to find the job.

In order other people could help you could you advise the link where you get the information from the salary figure you have mentioned?

In conclusion you could only be sure that the advertised Job with 60-70K is genuine if you get this information directly from the company, not from the agent. As far as I know, it is very rare that the reputable british MNC companies will put the salary figure in their advertisements. They only put: Negotiable. They have the reason for that

Pantaiema

raguraam wrote:I browsed through jobserv and planrecruit job sites and surprised to find so many well paying jobs in UK in the IT field. I have been working in IT field in USA for many years now and honestly I thought in general you get more salary in USA. If I have to believe what these sites tell me, then UK is at least equivalent to USA if not more.

I have seen many jobs paying around 60-70K GBP for my skill. That is $120-$140k USD in todays exchange rate. Very comparable. In some instances(80k GBP+benefits) I would say it is even more than NewYork salary. Am I missing anything here or I was just ignorant so long?
Last edited by pantaiema on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:39 pm

The skill set I am referring to is Unix(Solaris) and Storage. Even though I am managing a team of Unix and Storage professionals, I just searched for "Solaris administrator" in Planet recruit site. Please check the below link.
Am I missing something here?

http://www.planetrecruit.com/search.cgi ... age.y=0&t=

I believe these are for permanent job. Some of them quote in 350 to 400GBP per day. They could be contracting; I am not sure.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm

raguraam wrote:The skill set I am referring to is Unix(Solaris) and Storage. Even though I am managing a team of Unix and Storage professionals, I just searched for "Solaris administrator" in Planet recruit site. Please check the below link.

I believe these are for permanent job. Some of them quote in 350 to 400GBP per day. They could be contracting; I am not sure.
Contracting. Norm here in North west is 300-400 at least for me!

I'd expect 500-650 in London or SE.

I know some pulling 750 a day on Sun Appserver in London, which is what I do along with Sun Directory Server.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:11 pm

How about the permanent salaries of 60-70K for "Solaris administrator"? At least the site returns such results.

Do I believe them?

HSMP holder
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP holder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:31 am

I have been working in the US too. My observation is that UK has lower salary than US, in the sense that when you compare the prices here in the UK and in the US, you will find that there is no big difference between them. For example, a bottle of mike costs you around USD2.00 in the US. For the same size of bottle, it costs you around 2 pounds here in the UK. So the price is almost the same. In the US, however, people can get 70-80K USD per yar very easily (regular I would say). Whereas in the UK, 70-80K pounds per year is considered as fairly high. So at the end of the day, you earn less (ignoring the exchange rate please), but you have to spend the same. As a result, you get lower quality of life.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:04 pm

hsmp holder, I understand your points. Infact I was under the same impression until I started searching the job sites. It could be that these numbers are just inflated numbers or it could be that certain skills deviate from the general market trend. However I am not sure which is true. I can talk about US but have very little experience with UK. My intention is to present this issue to people who have seen both countries and surely it caught attention. There is a good information flow so far. Thanks to all of you.

My question:
If you were to search for jobs in monster or dice in US, the numbers(salary) you see are close to the reality(there is some amount of inflation but not a lot). The difference may be max. + or - 10%.

How would you say that about planetrecruit or jobserv sites in uk?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 pm

Dear raguraam

Thank you for your information

I have seen the link you have provided. This is defenitely recruitment agent.

As I mention before, in case of recruitment agent what is advertised is not necessary what you will get. But what they are saying Iit is probably true, but you need to understand their tricks e.g fopr mining applicants. Some jobs even do not exist. But you have nothing to loose if you tried it.

60K-70K (if it is permanent) probably after you work for ten years for them and get hogher position not if you first join. This is a trick for mining applicants. You could only be sure you will get that salary if it is advertised directly by the company. But from what I have seen most of highly credible companies in the UK never put the salayy figure in their job advertisements. You do not belive that? Observe yourselves go directly into the company in the area where you are working, do they put the salary figure in their advertisement ????

Pantaiema

raguraam wrote:The skill set I am referring to is Unix(Solaris) and Storage. Even though I am managing a team of Unix and Storage professionals, I just searched for "Solaris administrator" in Planet recruit site. Please check the below link.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Right,

Here are my 2 cents..
Having worked in US and UK before, i feel that in US 70-80 K is normal, while in UK is is rare..you find such jobs requiring highly technical skills or rare skills.
So yes, you can get 60-70 K permi job .
About Agents "Fishing" , yes that is true as well,but still i will stick to my view that there are jobs in IT market having 60-70 K rates..(I am in not so HOT skill set, but getting offer of 55 k permi, so can vouch for this)

Comng to cost of living, yes it is true that you end up paying same AMOUNT in GBP as of USD...also cost of living is higer in the sense but you are also getting the same sal (60-70k) ..
So at the end of the day, you might end up saving same AMOUNT in GBP...(well, almost as cost of living is higher and you wont get 70K jobs so easily..)

Finally, if you get 60K permi job in UK, go for it..you will end up saving in GBP then in USD...

HTH!!
Ashish

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks guys. I guess the only way to know is to try, as mentioned. thanks again for all your input.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Forgot to mention another trick. In some permanent jobs in the UK it looks like the salary quitete high based on the assumptiopn that you are working at least 50 hrs/week (not 37.5 -40 hours/weeks)without over time. For instance, this kind of jobs typlically exist within the financial sector e.g Investment Banking. So at the end the jobs which pay around 60K/annum ijs actually the same with other jobs which pay 45K/annum if yo count the overtime possibilty that you might get.

But again you wil never know, if you do not try it. This is just to make you aware of all tricks that might exist.

raguraam wrote:Thanks guys. I guess the only way to know is to try, as mentioned. thanks again for all your input.
Last edited by pantaiema on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 pm

thanks pantaiema

simar

Post by simar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Have you check the house prices in UK? An averge house price in UK is now 210K pounds ie 420K USD. This is for 2 bedroom house. I am not sure what is price of house in US

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:58 pm

It depends on where you are looking at. If you take for example , the suburbs of Newyork city, the house prices are around 500k USD for decent houses. One should compare this with London suburbs to get a close "apples to apples comparison".

simar

Post by simar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:02 am

Then decent houses cost of London suburb( harrow, watford) etc is 310K for 3 bedroom houses. (mind it 3 little bedrooms with single bathroom)

I have lived in US for around 1 year in decent houses. In general the decent house size in US /Canada is double of that of in UK.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:33 am

raguraam -

As someone coming from the US, I generally would agree with the comments that the higher salaries are harder to find. A big part depends on how much you're making now... If you're making 80k USD, as an example, you may be able to find something in the UK at 60-70k GBP. But - It might take a bit longer to find the right job at the right salary than it would take in the states, especially if you don't come with UK experience.
There are some good websites out there.. reed.co.uk, jobsite.com, etc. The people on this forum probably have even better sites, but those are couple that I used regularly.

The salaries might be higher here, but then again, so are the costs. I'm assuming from your comments that you're thinking about London - To find a flat in zone 1 in central london will cost from 250k GBP upwards. The lower end of that price range might get you 1 small bedroom, living room and Spam (maybe even galley Spam).. think NYC walkup... to get an idea of property prices, there are a lot of websites.. I generally use findaproperty.com, or hotproperty.co.uk.. They'll give you an idea of costs.. Houses in zone 1 are crazy expensive.. think in the neighborhood of 600-700k GBP plus.. it gets cheaper the farther you move out of central london.. it is possible to find houses with 3 bedrooms in the low to mid-300's within an hour commute from central london..

Overall cost of living in the UK is higher, and not just for property. There are several sites that do free cost of living comparisons... http://www.easyexpat.com/mod/cost_en.htm will compare NY and San Francisco costs with London or other European cities. If you're in another area of the US, the average cost of living in the UK is around 175% higher than the average US cost. If you're in an expensive place already in the US, then the difference in prices in London might not be as great as that..

About recruiters - I have used recruiters successfully in the UK, so I think they can be reputable. The recruiting process is different here, though. In the US, companies will generally have 'preferred' recruiters, and they use only those few recruiters that they have relationships with. In the UK, one job can go out to many recruiters, so they are competing against eachother to get the best candidates forward in the fastest time possible. This makes is a bit harder to develop a relationship with a recruiter and to rely on that person to help you in your job hunt. But it also means that if you have your CV out on all the sites and you're networking, it's likely that one of the recruiters will contact you for an appropriate job if it comes up. I had several cases where I received 2 or 3 calls from different recruiters all calling for the same thing.

Hope the comments helps.

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:05 am

UKbound wrote:raguraam -
---------
I had several cases where I received 2 or 3 calls from different recruiters all calling for the same thing.

Hope the comments helps.
I second this statement, very much true related to job recruiters
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

rajkumarpatel

US vs UK

Post by rajkumarpatel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:24 pm

There are respective pros and cons of working in IT sector in US and UK.
1.) All latest technologies are first practised in US and later in European markets, but lot of US companies earn a major share after selling their technologies in European market. You get to taste new technolgoies first in US rather than in UK
2.) Salaries higher in US say $100,000, which you get after having 8 yrs of exp normally and if you go to managerial posts. In UK you get app £50-£55k, which is less. But dollar is half of value of pound, mind it. So $100,000 is equivalent of getting £55k in UK. If you are living in California, ur deductions are higher. UK already has deduction on higher side. And you may not get salaries of $100,000 easily in all US cities. I have many friends in US on H1 and I know their salaries too.
3.) Living wise, I dont know in $2, how many pints of milk you get. but for £1.50, you get 8 pint milk here. And quality of food products in best in UK and other EU countries as compare to US.
4.) Medical is free in UK via NHS, Education for kids is free unless you want ur kids to study in private schools. Kids travel for free in public transport, which might be same in US.
5.) Recently value of USD to rupee fell a lot, which affected value of pound to rupee but its value is regaining quite good but USD is still sulking like anything.
6.) US a big and more free country, but crime rate is much higher in US as compare to UK.
7.) Job opportunities are not less here, its the immigration laws are stringent here and once you in Job, employee rights are quite string as compare to employee rights in US.

regards
RKP

raguraam
Newly Registered

Re: US vs UK

Post by raguraam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

rajkumarpatel wrote:There are respective pros and cons of working in IT sector in US and UK.
1.) All latest technologies are first practised in US and later in European markets, but lot of US companies earn a major share after selling their technologies in European market. You get to taste new technolgoies first in US rather than in UK
2.) Salaries higher in US say $100,000, which you get after having 8 yrs of exp normally and if you go to managerial posts. In UK you get app £50-£55k, which is less. But dollar is half of value of pound, mind it. So $100,000 is equivalent of getting £55k in UK. If you are living in California, ur deductions are higher. UK already has deduction on higher side. And you may not get salaries of $100,000 easily in all US cities. I have many friends in US on H1 and I know their salaries too.

BUT DON'T YOU GET £50-£55k IN LONDON TYPES OF AREAS ONLY? SO THE COMPARISON WITH CALIFORNIA OR NEW YORK IS RIGHT.

3.) Living wise, I dont know in $2, how many pints of milk you get. but for £1.50, you get 8 pint milk here. And quality of food products in best in UK and other EU countries as compare to US.

A gallon is around $4 now.

4.) Medical is free in UK via NHS, Education for kids is free unless you want ur kids to study in private schools. Kids travel for free in public transport, which might be same in US.

Yes, this is a good part. Medical in US is very expensive and not everyone gets a good insurance. Many people in US don't even have medical insurance because it is very expensive. I hope the quality of medical treatment is as good in UK as in US. I don't have any experience in UK though.

5.) Recently value of USD to rupee fell a lot, which affected value of pound to rupee but its value is regaining quite good but USD is still sulking like anything.

agree

6.) US a big and more free country, but crime rate is much higher in US as compare to UK.
7.) Job opportunities are not less here, its the immigration laws are stringent here and once you in Job, employee rights are quite string as compare to employee rights in US.

regards
RKP

thanks for the info RKP

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Hmmm..

I have spent 6 months in UK now...Having stayed in US (in NY,Oregon and Washigton DC) , i can say that quality of life is better in UK...lIfe is relaxing(especially in IT)...Real estate is very hight, but can live with it..
While i was in US,work pressure was too much and also being on H1 didnt help as my employer would make me travel from one end of country to another( and waiting was GC was a pain) ...Basically u r on mercy of employer(body shopper), but in UK once u get a permi job,life is settled more or less..

rajkumarpatel

Post by rajkumarpatel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:48 pm

I agree with it. real estate and property are costly in London and suburbs, so do in US cities like NY, California, DC. Rest career in IT, you can make in UK also as they also practice best practices in IT and in all service industries like banking, telecom, retail etc.

raguraam
Newly Registered

Post by raguraam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Add to that the travel time to India is lesser from UK and it is cheaper too I guess.

rajkumarpatel

Post by rajkumarpatel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Yess Friends, going to US atleast 20 hrs flight from New Delhi, London is 9.5 hrs from New Delhi. You can visit ur home twice a year without thinking a lot about money as tkt prices are app 24K one way if u buy on the go. A return tkt cost 34k if planned.

But Gasoline is cheaper in US as its max $3 per gallon, where its 94.5pence per litre in UK. But US fights a lot in Iraq, so they deserve it atleast. Clothes r cheaper in US but in UK the quality of clothes are again very high. Try a reebok shoes of US and UK, you will experience ur self. Job stability is very good in UK as compare to highly unstable job situation in US where in you can be fired with just a notice of week. These are just few points.

rsc029
Newly Registered

Post by rsc029 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:26 pm

hi all,
I have not seen both countries which are in disscussion...
but i am having HSMP and waiting for EC and planing to come UK in coming month.

and don't have any job offer from UK :lol:

but i preper UK for following reasons...
if i summerize properly...

1.distance from india.
2.cool life as AUS.
3.bit costly as per the living is concern but living standard is better than US
4.GBP is more strong than USD so in future if this goes more down then still we will be earning good bucks...
5.GC is not a cake walk as per my info even u have H1 in US

if i missed any point please do remind me

waiting for comments