ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying with expired Eu National Identity card

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CillianD
Newly Registered

Applying with expired Eu National Identity card

Post by CillianD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

My Identity card expired in 2007. Would that be ok?
Is it ok to apply with my Birth certificate or expired Identity Card?

Thanks

johnj1

Re: Applying with expired Eu National Identity card

Post by johnj1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm

You must to submit your passport, this will enable the Home Office to check the number of days that you declared in your form that you spent outside the country and to know if you are in UK exactly 5 years on the day you applied for Naturalization. So expired ID card or birth certificate will not be accepted.

CillianD
Newly Registered

Post by CillianD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

johnj1 wrote:You must to submit your passport, this will enable the Home Office to check the number of days that you declared in your form that you spent outside the country and to know if you are in UK exactly 5 years on the day you applied for Naturalization. So expired ID card or birth certificate will not be accepted.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Unfortunately,I don't have a passport. In fact, I have never applied for a passport in my life. Always traveled with Identity Card.
I thought I would be able to apply with my expired identity card. :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Expired EEA ID card is accepted. You don't need to hold a passport. You will however need to provide evidence of residence for the period since the card expiry (and probably for the period before as there us no record of your travel).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

CillianD
Newly Registered

Post by CillianD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Jambo wrote:Expired EEA ID card is accepted. You don't need to hold a passport. You will however need to provide evidence of residence for the period since the card expiry (and probably for the period before as there us no record of your travel).
Thank you.
I just read the booklet and it says: "Your valid passport or valid EEA national identity card as evidence of your nationality. " :(

I hope you're right.
As for the rest, it has been 7 years since my ID card has expired. It may not be ideal but at least it proves that I haven't left the country.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 pm

If you check section 1 on the support evidence page, it just say your passport. Doesn't mention valid. It's just a mistake they kept the valid in section 4.

Having an expired ID doesn't prove anything. Maybe you kept the expired one but had another one you used to travel with. Or maybe you have a passport you use to travel with. You will need to provide alternative evidence such as employment records to prove residence.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

CillianD
Newly Registered

Post by CillianD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Jambo wrote:If you check section 1 on the support evidence page, it just say your passport. Doesn't mention valid. It's just a mistake they kept the valid in section 4.

Having an expired ID doesn't prove anything. Maybe you kept the expired one but had another one you used to travel with. Or maybe you have a passport you use to travel with. You will need to provide alternative evidence such as employment records to prove residence.

Sure. I can prove that I've been exercising treaty rights over the relevant period.

You just made my day. Much obliged, Sir. :)