ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

traveling while on a WP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rglover
Newly Registered

traveling while on a WP

Post by rglover » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:27 pm

I am new to the boards and I am very new to the whole immigration thing. I am currently thinking about immigrating to the UK from the US. On a work visa I am curious if there are any problems traveling outside the UK while I am still on a work visa. I understand that there is criteria for applying for citizenship after 5 years and you can not be outside of the country for more then a specified amount of time. The main factor in my desire to immigrate to the UK would be to travel around Europe more so if it is more difficult until you are a citizen it might defeat the purpose. I have a US passport and I assume that I could travel on that until the 5 years are up.

Thank you in advance for any information. If this is not the best place to pose this question I apologize.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 pm

What sort of UK visa do you envisage getting? OK an employment visa, but based upon what? A Work Permit, or by using the HSMP scheme?
John

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I don't know what your personal situation is, so please take this as very general advice. In general, it's not worth it for a US citizen to immigrate to the UK. The salaries are not altogether higher and the lifestyle, not altogether better. Unless you have family ties to this country or are moving over for love, I would really recommend a long, good think about this one. Moving here is very expensive, staying and living here all the more so. And to top it off, frequent changes to the immigration system make for a certain amount of chronic, existential anxiety.

Those are just my two cents, of course. You can always explore Europe with your perfectly valid and useful little blue passport. There's absolutely no urgency to have a little burgundy one as well.

And by the way, if you come here on a work permit, you need to wait SIX years (as it currently stands) before you apply for citizenship. The rules state that you must be resident for at least five years, with no limits on your stay for the last year. With a work permit, you don't become eligible for this no-limit stay (i.e., Indefinite leave to remain) until you've completed five years. So then you've got to wait another year before you apply for citizenship. There are different rules if you're married to a UK citizen, but why don't you cross that bridge when you come to it?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

rglover
Newly Registered

Post by rglover » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Well I am planning on the HSMP route. As for why I want to move would be for ease of travel. There a lot of places I would like to see and the money and time needed to do the amount of traveling I would like to do in Europe I do not think I could manage it living in the states. So moving to the UK sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the feed back Robin and I have been thinking about this one for a long time now.

Thank you again for all the information.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 pm

Why don't you just come over to the UK and Europe for six weeks and travel around for a bit.
I guess that after that you will beleive what Robinlondon has just told you.
I'm sure if Robinlondon I knew what we now know we never considered comming to the UK it sucks!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am

Siggi wrote:I'm sure if Robinlondon I knew what we now know we never considered comming to the UK it sucks!
Well, I wouldn't say that entirely. There have been some good things as well as some not so good things. As with many things in life, it's necessary to try to strike a balanced view. I've never been deliriously happy here, but then again, I haven't booked a one-way ticket to Beachy Head either.

That said, this is such a personal decision that carries with it both opportunities and risks. The US is a great country with so much to offer as well. But as is the case with each of us so-called grown-ups, you'll just have to try whatever you think is best.