ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dbdb
Newly Registered

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Naturalisation

Post by dbdb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:02 pm

I hope you will be able to help me. I would like to apply for UK citizenship but I am not sure if I am eligible. I am originally from an EU country and I have been in Scotland since May 2006 and this what I have been doing since then:

Work 1 Full time - 1 June 2006 to August 2007

Study Full Time- Sept 2007 to August 2009

Work 2 Full Time- September 2009 to August 2010 (Paid internship during Uni)

Study Full Time- September 2010 to May 2011 (Final Year at Uni)

Work 3 Full Time- August 2011 to August 2012

Work 4 Full Time- September 2012 to now

As you can see I had some employment breaks due to full time study and I am worried that I don't satisfy all the conditions. More specifically there is Section 4 in the application.
SECTION 4 Evidence of settlement for applicants from Switzerland or the European Economic Area or their non-EEA direct family members see page 9 – 10 of the Booklet AN
• Your valid passport or valid EEA national identity card as evidence of your nationality; AND
• A document certifying permanent residence or a permanent residence card issued by UKVI"

I haven’t got the document certifying permanent residence or a permanent residence card issued by UKVI. However, according to the following point I can produce my payslips for the time that I spent in the full time employment and also letter of university enrolment as well as evidence of funds and comprehensive sickness insurance evidence instead.

The point that I am worried about is this one:

o Evidence of funds and comprehensive sickness insurance for self-sufficient persons and students

The comprehensive sickness insurance- I had EHIC card ( issued by UK)- would that be enough as evidence of insurance? Also, I think in Scotland students enrolled for a course over six months are covered by NHS anyway?

On a UK Border Agency website I found that the following are not accepted:
• The following is not acceptable as evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance:
o a health cash-plan scheme will not be considered, as these policies do not cover medical treatment in the majority of circumstances;
o reliance on the UK NHS (national health service); and
o travel insurance, as these temporary policies only cover emergency treatment for a limited time, outside of your country of residence.

I am not sure what the second point means. In Scotland students are covered by NHS so why should anyone bother with any additional insurance if they are already covered by NHS? Especially since I stayed and worked in Scotland for almost a year before going to University with intend to stay in the UK.

I have also found the following the following sentence on UKBA website (https://contact-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ ... ealthcare/):
If you are an EEA national and do not intend to remain in the UK on a permanent basis, you can provide an original, valid EHIC issued by an EU member state other than the UK.

Obviously, I came to the UK intending to settle here permanently thus I went to work first and then went to University and then find full time employment again.
Question is, should I have had some kind of comprehensive sickness insurance while I was at University other than NHS?
Thanks in advance for all you help.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Comprehensive Sickness Insurance- Naturalisation

Post by Jambo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)