ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wow... Germany!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

notforayear
Newly Registered

Wow... Germany!

Post by notforayear » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:10 am

:(

It's tough to move to a different country! Especially if you want to be German.

Here is what my plans were.. I was planning on taking a "vacation" finding a job, getting an apartment and staying!

So stupid of me... you can laugh now.

Here's my situation. I'm your typical dumb American who thinks that the laws here (where practically anyone who wants to live here can find a way and not even the police do anything about) are the same everywhere. I speak no German, no health insurance, $100 in the bank, I don't know anyone there, no German blood, I'm by myself without a partner... I just wanted to start my life over...

I was hoping I could go there and just "jump in" to learning the language... lol. Yes I'm that naive!

It's not like moving to a different state :wink: (by a long shot)

Thanks for shattering my dreams...

Side note question though... If i just "take a long vacation" how long do you think I could get past the 90 day limit? Will that hurt my chances of ever coming back? Anyone have any stories or ever heard of doing this and what happened to them?
Last edited by notforayear on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

notforayear
Newly Registered

Post by notforayear » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:13 am

And just to add... I've never been arrested, don't have an arrest warrant, 27 years old, good physical health, never been married, currently single.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 am

I can say Germany is a pain in the arse to live in if you are non-EU. My gf is working there and she's Russian. Her life seems to revolve around 'Der Ausländerbehörde', endless trips there, registering for this, deregistering for that, honestly she thinks it's worse than Russia with OVIR and propiska......

First work permit was four months late, the second six weeks, and she still doesn't have the thing in her passport, just a piece of paper called a 'fixation' or something.

I wouldn't flaunt the 90 day rule, mate.

I think ur best option is the apply to a german uni - as I understand it education is free to all and u can also work on it without restriction. Also after you graduate you get another year to live and work, so all you'd probably need would be to impress the boss and get him to get you a WP proper. Check all this tho, this was relayed to me in mixture of Russian, German and English by my gf and her Kazakhi friend who is a student visa there. Certainly scope for 'Lost in Translation' there!

Not knowing German is gonna put a serious hole in any scheme though.

German language is quite difficult grammatically, being an inflected language like Russian but nowhere near as hard as Russian. Also you never know the correct article, is it 'Die', 'Der', or 'Das'? You have to know, there are rules but they are not regular.

Also, you pronounce Voßstraße as Vossstrasser not Vobstrabe as I heard one American say last time I was in Berlin!

Tchuss!

notforayear
Newly Registered

Post by notforayear » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Working towards being able to sprecht de deutche currently. I'm downloading about 5 different "Speak German" bootleg programs. I won't give up.

So, the uni(versities?) are free? Even for foreigners? How does that work?!?! Why isn't the US doing that? I never finished college and I would love to go back, I wonder if I can transfer my credits.

Thanks Wanderer! :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:00 pm

notforayear wrote:Working towards being able to sprecht de deutche currently. I'm downloading about 5 different "Speak German" bootleg programs. I won't give up.

So, the uni(versities?) are free? Even for foreigners? How does that work?!?! Why isn't the US doing that? I never finished college and I would love to go back, I wonder if I can transfer my credits.

Thanks Wanderer! :)
I'd check that, but my gf seems sure - I'll get her to find out. I know it's definitely true for Sweden, cos I really fancied it there at one time, but you need good Swedish and mine is 'inte bra'!

To be honest the US and UK follow the 'lets make money out of everyone at all times at all costs' economic policy, so while I for one am raking in cash at the moment, I'm spending nearly all of it!

My favourite German city is Berlin, I'd head for there if I was you.

Have to say the women are bit ropey, you have to go to Russia for true talent!

Tochna!

notforayear
Newly Registered

Post by notforayear » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:46 am

What does "Ropey" mean... and not to offend but I'm no interested in Russian women.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 am

Wanderer: But you're probably prejudiced!

Notforayear: ropey = bad or unsatisfactory or not appealing (slang).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 pm

More info from the gf....

1. Uni is NOT free, it's just same the cost as the locals pay, which is unlike the UK and possibly the US where international students get ripped off for more than double.

2. Re working restictions, not sure. I know on US student visa ur not allowed to work, in UK it's 20hrs/wk limit, gf thinks there is no restriction in Germany but not sure.

3. The biggie, course are (obviously) taught in German and before they will admit you on a course you'd need to take a German Language test, similar to TEFL or the other English lang ones. It's quite difficult and costs 100 euro.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:13 pm

I studied in germany and never had to pay a cent. AFAIK studying in germany is still free. You only have to pay if you exceed the average time it takes to finish your degree, i.e. you are in your fifth year of a degree that's usually done in 3 years. Then they charge seomting like 1000 euro per semester.

notforayear
Newly Registered

Post by notforayear » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:14 pm

dsab85 - are you German or did you move from another country... What university did you go to?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:28 am

notforayear,

I'm sorry to be so blunt with this, but this Germany idea sounds like a bit of a non-starter. I have a bit of experience mit dem deutschen Lebensstil (German lifestyle). I studied at university in Freiburg for two years. I also worked in Hamburg and Berlin for another two. If you're not going there as someone's partner (someone who is preferably German, I might add), I can definitely say you need two things in equal measure: money and German-language skills.

The immigration bit is rather easy for an American. There's some sort of tacit "Friendship Agreement" in place whereby you may apply for a residence permit and work permit in-country. That's not altogether that onerous. You do, however, need to have German-language skills to handle it. And things cost money, so if you don't have more than $100 to your name, you won't be able to sit it out whilst you wait for your paperwork to go through. Or I guess even buy a plane ticket over there in the first place. Oh, and to get that residence permit, you must show that you have funds to support yourself and provide proof of health insurance.

If you would like to investigate the university route, I would suggest you check out the German Academic Exchange website: www.daad.org. They do have some scholarships available that are interesting. But time's not on your side, as some are restricted to certain age groups. You might also wish to check out the Goethe Institute ( www.goethe.de ). They offer high-quality (which I can attest to) instruction, but again, it's at a price. If I were you, I'd work on three things: getting some money together, getting my academic credentials in order and getting rather proficient in German before really committing to this.

Moving to Germany from the US by yourself isn't easy, particularly without money or the lingo. Have a good think about this, 'cause it ain't any easier once you get over there either.

Ich wünsche dir viel Glück!

-R

notforayear
Newly Registered

Post by notforayear » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:14 am

Danke, viel gute rat

Money and language. I'm focusing on that. I am going to hold off on moving for a year (hence the username). I should have more than $100 and a bit more knowledge :)

I found monthly apartments furnished for 300 euros a month (around Düsseldorf). I don't eat like a typical American so my monthly food budget will be low. I have lived for less than $500 a month in the states and I'm an earth friendly commuter.

I figure I can do 3 months for $2,000.

As far as the language goes, I've downloaded:
Berlitz - Learn to speak German (MP3 for my Ipod)
Idiots Guide to Learning German (PDF)
Rosetta Stone German (CBT)
Pimsleur German (MP3 at PC)
Henry Raymond - Learn German in your car (MP3 in my car)

Ive purchased a 'German at a Glance' Book, I signed up for the Deutsche Welle Online CBT, I've been communicating with Germans via Skype voice chat for practice, and once I'm confident I can speak the language I'm going to pay for and take the Goethe-Institut language exam here in the states.

So now, with the language (when I arrive) not an issue and the shelter covered I will have only 90 days to either:
a) find a suitable life partner
b) find a job

I'd rather not rush for marriage though... so this leaves me with the job route. Could I take up any job or do I have to get visa first, can I get a visa without a job. All the documentation I can find online talks about getting a job lined up here then moving...

Also, more about the 90 day visit period. Is that a 90 day period within a year or could I travel back to the states for a week and come back with 90 more days "visiting"? :wink:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:24 am

notforayear wrote:Also, more about the 90 day visit period. Is that a 90 day period within a year or could I travel back to the states for a week and come back with 90 more days "visiting"? :wink:
Basically if the German Immigration People thought u were using the 90 day waiver concession as a settlement visa they'd stop it.

I'd think 90 days in one year would be ok.

I don't think us Brits appreciate the EU, we are all of us entitled to just go and move to Germany, without fuss. I think that's the place my lovely gf and I will settle, she speaks good German, me hardly any but I speak Russian quite well and, well, Russian has to be the hardest european language, maybe Finnish and Hungarian harder?

Anyway German isn't so bad, the inflections quite simple for an English speaker used to inflected languages (like Latin) but the dialects are hard, christ, what's the country type dialect, Plattsdeutsche, argghh!!

igel
Newly Registered

Post by igel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:27 pm

About studying fees in Germany:

The situation is currently changing in Germany and general fees are introduced. Everyone starting to study then has to pay.
But it is not the same for whole Germany because it is decided by the federal states. At the moment in some states you already have to pay up to 500 Euro per semester, other states will start a bit later and the last third of the states still adheres to the idea that the first study should be free.

Praetorian
Newly Registered

Language software

Post by Praetorian » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:44 am

Hey where did you get your hands on that Rosetta stone software?(assuming you didn't just buy it)Trying to learn german myself...

petereliot1
Newly Registered

hello everyone

Post by petereliot1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:48 am

hello everyone,
i am an indian citizen married to a german citizen, we got married 6 moths ago in new york while we both were working in usa for 2 years.,my question
1-can i appy/ qualify for a german citizenship or can i register our marriage to qualify for a german id card?
2- can i atlest get a visa to visit my inlaws there? if yes wht type of visa do i get?
3- can i get a work visa in any eu country? as my spouse wants to be here in europe close to her family.
thank you

archigabe

Re: hello everyone

Post by archigabe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:48 pm

petereliot1 wrote:hello everyone,
i am an indian citizen married to a german citizen, we got married 6 moths ago in new york while we both were working in usa for 2 years.,my question
1-can i appy/ qualify for a german citizenship or can i register our marriage to qualify for a german id card?
2- can i atlest get a visa to visit my inlaws there? if yes wht type of visa do i get?
3- can i get a work visa in any eu country? as my spouse wants to be here in europe close to her family.
thank you
PeterEliot,
As far as wikipedia is concerned
1.A spouse of a German citizen may be naturalised after 3 years residence in Germany. The marriage must have persisted for at least 2 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
2.You can apply for a schengen visa to visit Germany.It should be free since you are married to a german national.Check the german embassy website.
3.You can work in any E.U country without a work visa.You would have to reside there with your wife and apply for a residency permit before you can work.Applying for a residency permit can be a bit difficult in certain countries like Ireland and finland since they impose certain conditions apart from being married to an E.U citizen.