ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

range
Newly Registered

IELTS question

Post by range » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm

My wife has taken the IELTs test, her results as follows:

Listening Reading Writing Speaking Overall
3.0 4.0 5.5 5.0 4.5

Do you think she will be able to get her settlement visa to come and join me as I am a British national?

Thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: IELTS question

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Applicable scores must be at least score 4.0
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

range
Newly Registered

Post by range » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Thank you.

He speaking is 5.0 but listening 3.0 does she need to retake the exam?

fn286

Post by fn286 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 am

As per guideline applicant must score 4 or above in all categories... its not just over all score.. Your wife will have to give IELTS again.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 am

Does she has a comparable degree which was taught in English?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:51 am

Amber_ wrote:Does she has a comparable degree which was taught in English?
A degree holder can't score that bad if degree taught in English :D
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 pm

You'd be surprised.

range
Newly Registered

Post by range » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Many thanks for your help and support.

I always use your services.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 am

fn286 wrote:As per guideline applicant must score 4 or above in all categories... its not just over all score.. Your wife will have to give IELTS again.
I believe this is incorrect. A score of 4 is only required in the speaking and listening category. Scores in reading and writing are irrelevant and not taken into consideration as this is not part of the requirement for the English language assessment.

I would recommend the applicant take a easier test such as ESOL. IELTS is a more difficult test where a score of 4 is required and is equivalent of CEFR Level B1, whereas only a Level A1 is required for spouse visa. Also with ESOL, you would only need to take speaking and listening where with EILTS, you are required to do all four elements.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 am

Indeed, hence why I said:
Amber_ wrote:Applicable scores must be at least score 4.0

zeeh
Member of Standing

Post by zeeh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 am

range wrote:My wife has taken the IELTs test, her results as follows:

Listening Reading Writing Speaking Overall
3.0 4.0 5.5 5.0 4.5

Do you think she will be able to get her settlement visa to come and join me as I am a British national?

Thank you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dude
only a Level A1 is required for spouse visa.why you gon for difficult option?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 am

Amber you are correct but my post was in reference to fn286 post which did state:
fn286 wrote:As per guideline applicant must score 4 or above in all categories... its not just over all score.. Your wife will have to give IELTS again.
So only making a correction of fn286 post as not all categories is required, just the speaking and listening. :)

range
Newly Registered

Post by range » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm

I think that IELTs is the only option in my country.

fn286

Post by fn286 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm

WR1 wrote:Amber you are correct but my post was in reference to fn286 post which did state:
So only making a correction of fn286 post as not all categories is required, just the speaking and listening. :)
Dear WR1,

I referred to the english lanuguage requirement guidelines where it says 4.0 in all categories as minimum. It is confusing for me too as home office require speaking and listening only. I personally think that for IELTS they require 4.0 in all tests... see page 17 in below link...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _tests.pdf

I would never take a chance... it is worth checking with someone who recently got visa with score less than 4.0.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Dear FN286

Yes that document in you link can confuse alot of people but I think its just a general document ts for all visa categories and a comparison to show what marks equates to what levels for use by everyone.

So someone applying for a spouse visa would need to the speaking and listening element, whereas someone wanting a student visa would need all four categories, so it shows the marking for all elements.

A bit more info here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... th_ielts_f

And I know many people who have done the IELTS who have flunked the reading and writing element but achieved 4.0 or above in speaking and listening and had their visa granted.

fn286

Post by fn286 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:23 pm

WR1,

I knew you would come up with this 2 years old link that doesn't have any legal value. If your case is rejected you cannot refer this years old link to BHC. And a lot has been changed since then, rules are much tougher...secondly IELTS for student visa require much higher score .. majority uni/colleges require 6.0 or above...

My understanding is visa can be rejected if score is less then 4.0 in any test...very soon home office will define guideline properly when they will receive more complaints ... they asked for listening and speaking and many certifications only conduct these 2 tests, but I think this doesn't apply on IELTS as most recent guidelines (link I shared) specifically states min 4.0 in all tests...

Well ..only someone who got visa recently with score less than 4.0 can confirm ...

Thanks.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 pm

FN286

I think your missing the point. Yes the link is 2 years old but unless the rules have significantly changed (not that I'm aware of) it still applies.

Furthermore, the link you provided in for use for all visa categories, not just spouse visa. It does not say you need 4.0 for IELTS (read it again). It says IELTS Level B1 is 4.0, Level B2 is 5.5, Level C1 is 7.0, C2 is 8,5 and so on, as well as scores for all other tests such as ESOL. It does not provide information on what score you need for a particular visa category. (Can you show me where it says you need IELTS 4.0 in all categories for spouse visa, as all i can see it says 4.o is Level B1).

Like i said, as we know for spouse visa you need Level A1 (IELTS does not measure below Level B1) or for ILR you need B1, so you look up the score for B1 which is 4.0 But the requirement for spouse visa is only for speaking and listening so you can omit the reading and writing element.

Likewise, for student visa, you need all four categories at Level C1 or C2 (which ever it is) and you look up the score that is needed.

Unfortunately, the way IELTS is structured, you need to do all four elements, but this does not mean you need to pass all four elements, just the ones that the visa criteria requires; in the case of Spouse or ILR, the speaking and listening element (unless this changes in future)