ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry clearance (New York/USA)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gordon

Entry clearance (New York/USA)

Post by gordon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:14 am

For all those who have applied for entry clearance through the UK consulate in NY (or elsewhere in the USA):

I've gone through the online entry clearance application, submitted and paid for processing by post, and now am assembling the materials that are meant to be sent as supporting documentation to the consulate-general in New York. Here's what the online system indicated (on completion of the online submission) that I should provide:
- current and previous passport
- valid US immigration status document (green card, H1B, F1 etc)
- evidence of funds (at least the last three months)
- colour passport photograph
- completed online application form

That's it? Having read through some of the posts here on entry clearance from other countries, the documents requested elsewhere, as indicated on this board, seem to be rather more extensive. Should I also submit any/all of the following materials as a matter of course?

- HSMP approval letter
- supporting documentation for HSMP application - education (certificates, letters, translation)
- supporting documentation for HSMP application - earnings (tax returns, bank statements, payslips)
- job prospects (printouts) to demonstrate employment potential
- lodging arrangements

Nowhere in the application did it ask me to provide any of the above (originals or copies), nor was there a place even to indicate the HSMP reference number or the document number for the approval letter (or was that supposed to be entered as the 'work permit' number?). Would a covering letter with the application suffice?

While I appreciate that one should only provide the information that they request, I wonder whether I am missing something painfully obvious here, because the information requested seems a bit sparse. I've been all over the ukvisas website trying to find out more, and am coming up empty-handed. I should like to get this right the first time.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback.

G

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 am

Well Gordon, I wish I could be of more help here. For what they are worth, below are my notes from my phone conversation with an Abtran ($2.49/min. UK visa customer service) rep this past Friday.

She said to follow the list of documents indicated in the e-mail that I would receive after making the on-line application. Of course I won't be applying for EC until my HSMP is sorted out so I had no idea what the list might look like until I saw yours just now. Can I ask, are you a US citizen? I am curious about how I would prove my immigration status (=US citizen) other than by showing my passport. If you are a US citizen, what evidence of immigration status are you planning to show?

Consistent with the list you received, the Abtran rep didn't say anything to me about providing all the original evidence that will have gone to the HSMP people previously.

It may be worth it to phone Abtran before you send anything (if you do, please report back!!). You may also want to pm the user greatguy on the hsmp-services.co.uk forum. He obtained EC through NY on the first try several months ago.
my notes from my $50 Abtran conversation wrote:Things to be prepared to provide:
1) Cover letter including the detailed budget that I drew up in Excel, explaining that the amount I expect to spend is within the amount I show available to me on bank statements
2) Reference from previous employer. A letter "confirming period of leave" is really required of people who are *not* quitting their jobs at home permanently.
3) Letters explaining relatively large deposits to my bank account other than salary payments from my employer, as in: a letter from my landlord regarding the return of my rental deposit that mentions the check number, a letter from my parents if they give me any money, etc. With this in mind, I will buy a book of receipts and write receipts to people who buy things from my apartment so I can provide the carbon copies with my EC application.
4) A printout from ING Direct's website will be accepted as proof of funds in my savings account with ING
5) A letter, handwritten or typed, from my friend who says I can stay with him until I find a more permanent situation. The letter should include his contact details (phone, address, e-mail) and be signed in ink. If I were planning to stay with him permanently he would have to provide proof that he owns his house.
6) Copies of my e-mail correspondence with recruiters and the jobs (inc. salary ranges) they have suggested to me. Also printouts of job descriptions that I think are interesting and suited to me, with salary ranges that correspond to the budget I have drawn up.

Bizarre things probably unique to me:
1) On my CV I claim postgraduate study: an MA course in the US (undertaken 1999-2001, did not submit thesis) and an M.St. (master of studies) in the UK. I did not mention these in my HSMP application. Re the M.St., I don't have an official degree certificate because I haven't been through the pomp and circumstance of the graduation ceremony. I didn't ask for exceptional consideration of the UK M.St. in my HSMP application because I didn't *need* the points.
2) So in my passport there's a stamp for leave to enter the UK until 10 Sept. 2004, dated 10 Sept. 2001. If I don't mention in my cover letter why I was in the UK for that period (grad school) then the EC officer may be suspicious.
3) Bottom line: if there's anything in the CV or your passport (related to the UK) that isn't directly corroborated by the documents submitted with the HSMP application, be prepared to explain it. A perceived discrepancy could take a lot of time for the EC officer to sort out and cast doubt on the integrity of the application.

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Ball1333

Many thanks for sharing the results of your Abtran call and the reference to greatguy. It's interesting; your phone call with Abtran confirms that they would want further information confirming:
- ability to maintain oneself without recourse to public funds
- employability

Meanwhile, in the language of the britainusa.com website, the 'Advice for Applicants' reads: 'It is your responsibility to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that you meet all the criteria of the category under which you are applying.' And then goes on to list the required documents: online application, valid passport, photo, and 'a genuine HSMP criteria approval issued by the HSMP Team of Work Permits UK'. Of course, unless the ECO doubts the authenticity of the HSMP approval letter, it's not clear whether the letter is considered 'necessary and sufficient', as it were.

To show my immigration status, I am simply issuing my US passport, which in this case I take to serve both as a travel document as well as confirmation of my immigration status and identity. Your comments on the vitae are also very helpful; the CV is, in fact, the one document that I have always held back from this entire process, and this may well be the point when it will have to come forward (all the other documents submitted were already pretty intrusive, but I drew the line at the CV for some reason).

I'll let you know what happens.
Best wishes and many thanks
G

PS (for a laugh): the email included in the list 'If you are in the US - Valid US Immigration Status (originals not copies) e.g. Permanent Resident Card, Advance Parole Document, H1B visa, F1 with I-20 etc'. Advance Parole Document ? I don't know what that is, but it sounds dreadful, like something Paris Hilton would have to submit !

lonelyuk
Newly Registered

Post by lonelyuk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi guys,

i will be applying for ILR/EC soon.

In regards to proof of available funds i understand they want to see bank statements of the last 3 months (minimum).

my question is, is there a guideline as to how much funds that needs to be available in your bank account?

as i've made the choice of moving to the uk (under another immirgration category) and quitting my last job. So essentially i had no employment for the past 3 months (since i arrived in the uk).

Thanks in advance.

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:55 pm

lonelyuk - I'm not sure whether in-country people are handled differently for initial leave to enter/remain.

There are no explicit guidelines (at least, none that are made available to applicants), but for out-of-country applications, my understanding is that the ECO expects to see an amount of money suitable to sustain the migrant (and any dependants) for 4-5 months. So I provided the following:

- a spreadsheet showing what I would expect to spend (assuming 4-5 months of no income)
- bank statements for my current account (approx 4200 GBP) - very liquid funds
- stock portfolio (approx 15000 GBP) - semi-liquid funds
- retirement portfolio - (approx 45000 GBP) - available only in hardship circumstances - not very liquid at all.

Since I'm a single person not planning to settle in London, the current account funds would be sufficient for someone living frugally (but realistic and possible if I so choose). I simply made the argument that if things went utterly pear-shaped, then I had alternate funds (in the stock and retirement funds) that I could progressively tap, without any need to access public funds in the UK.

It's not clear that the ECO is looking for evidence of employment in granting entry clearance, but is instead just checking the likelihood that the bank balance would be available at the point of entry. And if the bank balance is lower than, say, 4-5K for an individual, perhaps it might make sense to add evidence of alternate funds that you could access, even if those funds are not as liquid as those in a current account ?

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Gordon,

Do you have any fixed assets and just chose not to include them?

I'll be gearing up for EC soon (I hope!) and am pre-planning. I have what should be enough in liquid savings, but of course, I'd like to make the best case I can, so I was thinking I would include things like:

1) An appraisal of my car, with a note that I will be selling the car before moving (which should mean, to the EC officer, that the proceeds will be liquid cash by the time I arrive in the UK)

2) My mortgage papers, showing that if things got really bad, I have property here that I could sell...except with this, I wonder if maintaining property in the US would cause suspicion that I do not plan to stay in the UK? (I do, I just don't want or need to sell my condo).

3) I am inheriting a bit of money as soon as the red tape is dealt with (though certainly not millionaire status!), so I was going to include a letter from the attorney handling the estate, stating the approximate amount I am to receive.

But I wonder if those things are overload and unnecessary...is there such a thing as too much proof? :)

Amy
gordon wrote:lonelyuk - I'm not sure whether in-country people are handled differently for initial leave to enter/remain.

- a spreadsheet showing what I would expect to spend (assuming 4-5 months of no income)
- bank statements for my current account (approx 4200 GBP) - very liquid funds
- stock portfolio (approx 15000 GBP) - semi-liquid funds
- retirement portfolio - (approx 45000 GBP) - available only in hardship circumstances - not very liquid at all.

Since I'm a single person not planning to settle in London, the current account funds would be sufficient for someone living frugally (but realistic and possible if I so choose). I simply made the argument that if things went utterly pear-shaped, then I had alternate funds (in the stock and retirement funds) that I could progressively tap, without any need to access public funds in the UK.

It's not clear that the ECO is looking for evidence of employment in granting entry clearance, but is instead just checking the likelihood that the bank balance would be available at the point of entry. And if the bank balance is lower than, say, 4-5K for an individual, perhaps it might make sense to add evidence of alternate funds that you could access, even if those funds are not as liquid as those in a current account ?

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:29 pm

Amy -

I think my internal logic was to show funds/assets that could be withdrawn immediately or within a week or two, and that were inequivocally mine and within my full control (at the moment I made the EC application). I wanted to show that I could maintain a baseline existence while searching for gainful employment in the UK, which I could do for four-five months on my current account funds, and for a further period if I were to sell off stock portfolio. And then I added the retirement funds (403b account and ROTH IRA), just to be safe.

In my case, I have shares of property and capital held in trust (from my dead mother), on top of the other monies, but I didn't think that it was necessary for them to know that. I'm not going in as a business investor and I want to take a full-time job in England, so the ECO doesn't need to know that I'm financially sound or have private income (or what assets I hold that might be subject to tax - but that's a topic for another day) beyond being able to support myself for a few months on the job hunt.

If you have a current account balance that covers you for 4-6 months (GBP 4000-10000, depending on where you'll settle) and then perhaps some stocks or something as back-up, then that should be more than sufficient to the purpose and more than safe. I gather that the ECOs prefer this to be a straightforward process, so there's no need to do the complicated financial disclosure re: the car, mortgage, inheritance. (All that effort can be made later with the mortgage broker when you try to buy a poky flat in Kilburn.)':wink:'

G

jagacharaja

Re: Entry clearance (New York/USA)

Post by jagacharaja » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Gordon - I had my EC issued from Chicago very recently. I'm a non-US citizen resident in the US and submitted the following documents w/the application:

-- Passport
-- HSMP Approval Letter
-- Printed (and signed) app
-- Letter from my current US employer stating my annual salary
-- Notarized printout of my bank transactions for the last two months which I printed off of the bank website
-- Original paystubs for the last three months
-- Notarized copy of my driver's license
-- 2006 W-2
-- BS degree certificate (original)
-- NARIC Evaluation Letter (original)
-- A cover letter documenting the above!

That's it. I requested a three month post-dated EC, and received a four month post-dated EC instead. I don't know how that works.

Whilst the list above is just what I submitted and may or may not be exhaustive depending on the individual application, pls focus on the following, which is from britainusa.com's HSMP section:

"ADVICE FOR APPLICANTS
It is your responsibility to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that you meet all the criteria of the category under which you are applying. Therefore, it is in your interest to ensure that you are fully prepared before submitting an application. An Entry Clearance officer will base their decision to issue or refuse on the documents you submit. "

In other words, whilst it's not "mandatory", they'd like to verify again that you were eligible for HSMP approval at the time of your HSMP application. They don't mention "needing" bank statements - but it's still "required"...

FWIW - my application was acknowledge, processed, and dispatched off the same day by FedEx overnight. Pretty impressive!

Good luck.
gordon wrote:For all those who have applied for entry clearance through the UK consulate in NY (or elsewhere in the USA):

I've gone through the online entry clearance application, submitted and paid for processing by post, and now am assembling the materials that are meant to be sent as supporting documentation to the consulate-general in New York. Here's what the online system indicated (on completion of the online submission) that I should provide:
- current and previous passport
- valid US immigration status document (green card, H1B, F1 etc)
- evidence of funds (at least the last three months)
- colour passport photograph
- completed online application form

That's it? Having read through some of the posts here on entry clearance from other countries, the documents requested elsewhere, as indicated on this board, seem to be rather more extensive. Should I also submit any/all of the following materials as a matter of course?

- HSMP approval letter
- supporting documentation for HSMP application - education (certificates, letters, translation)
- supporting documentation for HSMP application - earnings (tax returns, bank statements, payslips)
- job prospects (printouts) to demonstrate employment potential
- lodging arrangements

Nowhere in the application did it ask me to provide any of the above (originals or copies), nor was there a place even to indicate the HSMP reference number or the document number for the approval letter (or was that supposed to be entered as the 'work permit' number?). Would a covering letter with the application suffice?

While I appreciate that one should only provide the information that they request, I wonder whether I am missing something painfully obvious here, because the information requested seems a bit sparse. I've been all over the ukvisas website trying to find out more, and am coming up empty-handed. I should like to get this right the first time.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback.

G

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 pm

jagacharaja

Thanks for your message - it sets my mind at ease and it validates what I ultimately sent off:

- passports (current and former)
- HSMP approval letter
- application form and photograph
- my letter explaining the following:

a. To demonstrate HSMP eligibility
- tax returns (W2, 1099) for income points for 2006 (period claimed)
- transcript, academic certificate, dean's letter on English language instruction, for education points

b. To demonstrate lack of need for recourse to public funds
- current account statements (three months)
- stock and retirement portfolio statements (three months)
- short budget showing expected expenditure for 4-5 months

c. To demonstrate employability
- printouts of job openings for which I'd be eligible to apply
- cv

While it was clear that one had to demonstrate eligibility for HSMP, it was not clear how much of the comprehensive evidence would have to be submitted (for instance, I notice in your list that you did not include the payslips from the period claimed in the application or the English language documentation). So I'm glad to know that an EC application was approved without the entire dossier, but just with selected evidence.

I also take heart in the fact that in 2005-06 only 5-6% of non-settlement visa applications were declined by the three UK consulates in the US processing visas. Let's just hope that they give me the visa post-dated two months as I asked.

Many thanks again -
G

jagacharaja

Post by jagacharaja » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 pm

G - you should be fine. I do not have a job offer (haven't even started the search yet!) and I showed appox. 5.5k GBP in liquid assets (checking accnt balance). For UK address I'd provided a hotel address. I didn't provide the 12 paystubs because my W2 covered that period.

What I'm impressed with is the speed w/which they processed the application. I suppose if you make things easier for them they'll give you what you want, and more (like a 4 mo post dated EC in my case!!)

PS: They did send me back the original HSMP approval letter - I wasn't aware of that being the case.

dearamitg
Newly Registered

Post by dearamitg » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi jagacharaja,

My case is also very similar to yours. I am from Punjab, non-US citizen, and have already got hsmp approval. Now I am planning to apply EC at NewYork consulate in person as I am already in NewYork.

I need some guidance about hotel booking that you provided during your EC application. Do we have pay in advance for hotel booking?

Please let me know how it works.

Thanks a lot!
Amit

jagacharaja

Post by jagacharaja » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:56 am

Amit - not only did I not pay for the hotel but I didn't even have a confirmation from the hotel. I know of this hotel from my previous stays and used the same address, as I don't plan to go anytime soon. I can contact them when I know for sure when I'm going.

Not sure how good of an idea this is but it worked for me. It'd always be a safe bet to get a confirmation email from them that you're booked for so n' so date (the printout of which you can attach w/your EC app). From my experience you don't need to pay anything to make a tentative reservation.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

PS: You might already know this, but you will need an appointment in order to submit your app in person.
dearamitg wrote:Hi jagacharaja,

My case is also very similar to yours. I am from Punjab, non-US citizen, and have already got hsmp approval. Now I am planning to apply EC at NewYork consulate in person as I am already in NewYork.

I need some guidance about hotel booking that you provided during your EC application. Do we have pay in advance for hotel booking?

Please let me know how it works.

Thanks a lot!
Amit

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:50 pm

Just a final update for all who are following this thread; I received my entry clearance (visa) this morning. Some further notes:

- the HSMP approval letter was returned to me (I'd read that this does not always happen)
- I reiterated in my covering letter that I wanted a visa post-dated to 15 Aug, and that's what they gave me
- I did not give information on lodging at all (since I hope to have arranged a flat before I arrive); that was fine
- I took a standard-size US passport photo (2x2 inches) and cut it down to 45 x 35 mm, and that evidently was fine
- they retained the most recent bank statements (May) for my current account, equities account, and retirement accounts.

Terminus et initium
AG

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Congratulations! :D
gordon wrote:Just a final update for all who are following this thread; I received my entry clearance (visa) this morning. Some further notes:

- the HSMP approval letter was returned to me (I'd read that this does not always happen)
- I reiterated in my covering letter that I wanted a visa post-dated to 15 Aug, and that's what they gave me
- I did not give information on lodging at all (since I hope to have arranged a flat before I arrive); that was fine
- I took a standard-size US passport photo (2x2 inches) and cut it down to 45 x 35 mm, and that evidently was fine
- they retained the most recent bank statements (May) for my current account, equities account, and retirement accounts.

Terminus et initium
AG

dearamitg
Newly Registered

Post by dearamitg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:27 pm

Congrats everyone who has got visa successfully!

Could anyone please share a cover letter required for EC?
I am also applying from NewYork consulate.

Thanks,
Amit

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:30 pm

Covering letter is not required, but I think it can be helpful. Here's mine:

12 June 2007
British Consulate General New York
845 Third Avenue, 10th floor
New York, New York 10022

Re: Entry clearance application GWFxxxxxxx (name)

I am applying for entry clearance into the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme; I would ask that the entry clearance be post-dated to 15 August 2007. Only after entry clearance will I arrange travel and lodging; for the latter, I plan to settle [outside London].

In support of this application I enclose the following items:
1. Printout of entry clearance application GWFxxxxxxx (submitted online 11 June 2007), signed
2. Current US passport, as well as my two previous US passports
3. Recent colour photograph, attached to application
4. Original HSMP approval letter

In addition to the original HSMP approval letter, to demonstrate that I meet the criteria of the category under which this entry clearance application has been submitted, I include the following:
5. Short curriculum vitae
6. Evidence of education (30 points for bachelor’s degree, AB):
a. Official academic certification and academic transcript from xxx University
b. Official translation of AB degree certificate and copy of AB degree certificate (diploma)
c. Letter from dean’s office confirming AB degree conferral and English language instruction
d. Letter from xxx College, Oxford, confirming master's degree. I did not claim points for the higher degree because the additional points were not required to meet the HSMP threshold.
7. Evidence of earnings (45 points): I claimed points for aggregated earnings of $xxxxx (£xxxxx) in calendar year 2006 from four sources, for which I include official earnings statements (tax returns for CY2006):
a. xxx University (salaried), $xxxxx ($xxxxx after pre-tax deductions of $xxxx).
b. xxx University (salaried, part-time), $xxxx
c. xxx University (salaried, part-time), $xxxx
d. NGO (consulting/independent contracting, part-time), $xxxxx

To demonstrate funds available to me (to avoid recourse to public funds), I include the following:
8. Bank statements (March, April, May 2007): approx. £xxxx ($xxxx) immediately available to me.
9. Equities and retirement account statements (March, April, May 2007): £xxxxxx ($xxxxxx)
10. Spreadsheet showing planned expenditures over the first 4.5 months in UK.

While continuing my consulting with the NGO (approx. $xxxx pcm), I plan to seek employment in my field of work (charity research); included are selected advertisements of vacancies for which I would be qualified to apply (and for which I will shortly apply).

Along with my passports, please return all of my original financial and academic documents after review. Thank you for your consideration.

Yours faithfully
name

Enclosures
Last edited by gordon on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dearamitg
Newly Registered

Post by dearamitg » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks everyone!

Today morning I have received my passport back with EC stamped for 2 years. They post dated it with the date I requested.

My application reached NewYork office on Friday morning and Yesterday (Tuesday) morning I received an email that visa has been issued and fedex number was provided to me. When I checked it on fedex.com, I found they sent my passport at my permanent address instead of mailing address that I mentioned in application. Then I checked with fedex and they told me that package is not picked up yet. I sent a fax to British consulate and then contacted them via phone and they re-routed the package to correct address.

Finally this whole thing is finished!

Good luck everyone for future endeavors.

Amit

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Gordon,

Do you mind sharing the details of the above mentioned spreadsheet? I'm interested in the individual items listed in the spreadsheet and the corresponding expense. Although I realize the expense would not only reflect a specific city/location in the UK, but also your personal spending habits, it would be very helpful to me.

begster999

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:36 pm

begster

I included line items for each of the following: lodging (inclusive of bills and council tax, based on a flatshare), food, transport, and incidentals. From memory:

Lodging: 500 per month
Food: 150 per month
Transport: 50 per month
Incidentals: 50 per month

I have no liabilities (credit card balances, overdraft, etc) or standing payments (car or student loans, etc).

The budget was minimal, and I am not sure how likely the ECO thought it would be that I would actually live on such a barebones budget for 4.5 months. The point was to demonstrate that the current account balance could support a basic existence (outside London) during the search for employment. There might have been two mitigating factors that might have caused the ECO otherwise not to place too much stock on the budget I submitted:

1. I have continuing research consulting that would provide rather more than 750 per month, even after I arrive in the UK (but I did not provide documentation of that consulting income)
2. I also included statements from my equities account, which would have supplemented my current account balance to support a lifestyle at a higher level, ignoring the consulting earnings.

Hope that helps
AG

begster999
Newly Registered

Post by begster999 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:36 pm

gordon wrote:begster

I included line items for each of the following: lodging (inclusive of bills and council tax, based on a flatshare), food, transport, and incidentals. From memory:

Lodging: 500 per month
Food: 150 per month
Transport: 50 per month
Incidentals: 50 per month

I have no liabilities (credit card balances, overdraft, etc) or standing payments (car or student loans, etc).

The budget was minimal, and I am not sure how likely the ECO thought it would be that I would actually live on such a barebones budget for 4.5 months. The point was to demonstrate that the current account balance could support a basic existence (outside London) during the search for employment. There might have been two mitigating factors that might have caused the ECO otherwise not to place too much stock on the budget I submitted:

1. I have continuing research consulting that would provide rather more than 750 per month, even after I arrive in the UK (but I did not provide documentation of that consulting income)
2. I also included statements from my equities account, which would have supplemented my current account balance to support a lifestyle at a higher level, ignoring the consulting earnings.

Hope that helps

AG
Thank you, AG!

That is great help, especially in my situation since I have someone who has offered to put me up in his apartment/flat until I find a job!

Under a different thread, we had recently discussed how much money is considered "enough," from an ECO's perspective, to be able to support yourself for 4-5 months, if you have to, while looking for a job, and I think I now have a pretty good idea of how to tailor my expense spreadsheet to my advantage.

I think you'll be leaving for the UK soon. Again, I wish you the best and hope you'll continue to enlighten us all with your valuable opinions and thoughts on these boards!