ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Required info Emergency Travel Document

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanjay23
Newly Registered

Required info Emergency Travel Document

Post by sanjay23 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Gurus
Can i apply for Emergency travel document for my son from India as he recently naturalise as British Citizen ,currently he is holding an Indian passport.

Kindly advise.

Thanks

Mind_The_Gap

Re: Required info Emergency Travel Document

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Thu May 01, 2014 1:20 pm

sanjay23 wrote:Hi Gurus
Can i apply for Emergency travel document for my son from India as he recently naturalise as British Citizen ,currently he is holding an Indian passport.

Kindly advise.

Thanks
Hi Sanjay,

Welcome the forum!

Has your son applied for a British Passport after his naturalisation?

If he has not and is:

In India he can do so here - https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

In the UK he can apply here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport

For an Emergency Travel Document: - "You should first try to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or is damaged. Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement."

Steps on how to get it can be found here - https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Mind The Gap

sanjay23
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay23 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply
No i havent apply British poassport for my son as it took minimum 16 week if apply from overseas.My wife & kid travel to India due to some emergency and we have recieved his naturalisation certificate after that.
i applied for ROA/COE on 28th march & currently waiting for result.i just want to know if ROA dint aprove can i apply for Emergency travel document as my wife has to travel back end of may.

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Is the child born british or did you register under section 1(3) /3(1)? I believe it's the latter as you have mentioned naturalisation certificate.
In that case the child is no longer an Indian citizen and you can't use RoA on indian passport. I don't think there will be any issue in receiving ROA approval but its use on indian passport will not be permitted.
The child needs to surrender indian passport in india and obtain exit permit to travel back on British passport (or emergency document -if you are able to obtain one).

ps: is there any valid leave to remain on indian passport?

sanjay23
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay23 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi ban
yes my child born in UK only
thats is the thing i want to know can i apply emegengy travel document for my kid.is he eleigble for emergency travel document.i am reday to surrender his paspoort if his ROA declined.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 01, 2014 3:03 pm

is the child british by birth or registered under sectiion 1(3)?

sanjay23
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay23 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi
he Born in UK but that time i was on Work permit.he was naturalised after i got my ILR.
he was naturalised under below section.
section 1 (3) birth in the UK to parents who are now settled in the UK

Thanks
Sanjay

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

In that case the child's indian citizenship has automatically terminated and you need to surrender his passport within 3 months from the date the registration certificate was issued. The ROA can't be legally used on the indian passport.

sanjay23
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay23 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Ban
Thats correct that why i want to know can i apply Emergency travel document(from UK embassy) for my son so that he can travel back to UK ASAP. is he eligible for Emergency travel document.

Thanks
Sanjay

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Unlikely considering this will be the first passport.
GOV.UK wrote: You can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes known as an ‘emergency passport’) if you’re a British national outside the UK and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or has expired.