ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused what to put.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jos1
Newly Registered

Confused what to put.

Post by jos1 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Apologies if i have posted in the wrong forum. I don't live with my husband and have been separated from him for a few years. He now wants to apply for British citizenship in his own right based on being in the UK for 5 years. (arrived 2009 ilr received 2012) On the form there is no option to put just separated down only legally separated or married. We're only separated but not legally.Which one should he put down because obviously we're no longer together as husband and wife and haven't been for some time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Confused what to put.

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 07, 2014 12:43 pm

UK or EEA rules?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jos1
Newly Registered

Post by jos1 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm

I am british citizen so uk rules.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:23 pm

jos1 wrote:Apologies if i have posted in the wrong forum. I don't live with my husband and have been separated from him for a few years. He now wants to apply for British citizenship in his own right based on being in the UK for 5 years. (arrived 2009 ilr received 2012) On the form there is no option to put just separated down only legally separated or married. We're only separated but not legally.Which one should he put down because obviously we're no longer together as husband and wife and haven't been for some time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You are married. Simple. where is the confusion? So many married couples do not stay together, as long as they are not legally separated, they are married.

jos1
Newly Registered

Post by jos1 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks for you help although the bit about so many married couples do not stay together isn't really appropriate if you do not know the individual circumstances surrounding the separation. Thanks for you help anyway.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Does he have ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Wanderer wrote:Does he have ILR?

being in the UK for 5 years. (arrived 2009 ilr received 2012)

Bad day again Wanderer?? :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 07, 2014 7:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Does he have ILR?

being in the UK for 5 years. (arrived 2009 ilr received 2012)

Bad day again Wanderer?? :D
Bugger! Yes

Then he can apply for BC at his leisure off his own bat AIUI. Think he'd have to have been on ILR for one year and physically present to the day five year prior to date of application.

jos1
Newly Registered

Post by jos1 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Sorry only just seen your reply. Yes he does have ilr and we know he can apply in his own right after being here 5 years just it was the fact that we weren't legally separated and it doesn't give you on the form any other options apart from married or legally separated. So i guess he has to tick the box for married then. Thank you for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm

You should tick 'married'.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

akash08

Post by akash08 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:11 am

jos1 wrote:Sorry only just seen your reply. Yes he does have ilr and we know he can apply in his own right after being here 5 years just it was the fact that we weren't legally separated and it doesn't give you on the form any other options apart from married or legally separated. So i guess he has to tick the box for married then. Thank you for your help.

Sorry for dragging it but what other option you were looking for? I do not think any other marital status exists. The leader of the opposition party in India spent only 3 months with his wife around 40 years back but still had to declare he is married because if you are not divorced, you are married, there is nothing in between. What circumstance, what condition has no significance.