ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

6008735rd
Newly Registered

Renewing Spouse visa

Post by 6008735rd » Thu May 08, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi all,

My wife's here in the UK on a two and a bit year spouse visa, which is set to expire in the next couple of months.

I've got the renewal form ( https://www.gov.uk/g...LR_M__04-14.pdf ) and she's done the necessary English test to A1 level.

Just wondered if anyone who's been through the same process could let me know whether that's all they need to issue the renewal, or if we have to send off all the proof of relationship stuff that you have to when you apply for the first time.

Edit: Just a little more info, her visa runs out at the beginning of next month. I know that the walk in service is available, which costs an extra £400, but I'd obviously rather avoid paying this. It says on the gov website that it takes up to 8 weeks for them to respond to a postal application. Does anyone know how long it actually takes, and if any big problems are likely to occur if it runs over the date that her current visa expires?

Cheers

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Renewing Spouse visa

Post by Casa » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm

The link you've posted doesn't relate to any form. What are you applying for? ILR -form SET(M) or another 2.5 year extension form FLR(M)? If your wife's visa expires in June you must have applied before the new rules were introduced in July 2012...in which case if you're applying for ILR your wife needs to pass both the Life in the UK test and a B1 level English exam.
While an application is being decided your wife's legal status remains the same.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

6008735rd
Newly Registered

Post by 6008735rd » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Casa wrote:The link you've posted doesn't relate to any form. What are you applying for? ILR -form SET(M) or another 2.5 year extension form FLR(M)? If your wife's visa expires in June you must have applied before the new rules were introduced in July 2012...in which case if you're applying for ILR your wife needs to pass both the Life in the UK test and a B1 level English exam.
While an application is being decided your wife's legal status remains the same.

Thanks for the reply Casa.

We just want to get her another 2.5 year extension (FLR M) as she didn't pass the life in the UK test unfortunately.

Not sure why the link isn't working, hopefully it will this time! https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-14.pdf

Just so I'm sure what you're saying, if we send the application off before her visa runs out and they don't get back to until after it runs out, she won't be violating her visa?

She spoke to a friend earlier who said she's known people who are applying for the same thing, have their application take up to 8 months. I presume this must be hearsay and not true, as it says on the government site that you'll get a response 'within 8 weeks'?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 am

8 weeks seems to be the average if the case is not complex.
If they are still processing the application when her current visa runs out she will remain under the conditions of that visa until they make a decision.

6008735rd
Newly Registered

Post by 6008735rd » Sat May 10, 2014 1:20 pm

SoHopeful wrote:8 weeks seems to be the average if the case is not complex.
If they are still processing the application when her current visa runs out she will remain under the conditions of that visa until they make a decision.
Thanks SoHopeful, that's reassuring.

I don't see any reason why hers won't be a straight forward case, so fingers crossed. I, or rather she, was worried about the 8 month story that she was told as we've got a trip booked for October.

Cheers

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat May 10, 2014 1:23 pm

An extension under Part 8 would be for 2 years not 2.5 years!

You'll need to tick 7B not 7A on the Finance section. I would apply by post, complete B1 English and LIUK and vary to SET(M) to save some money.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Ghani84
Newly Registered

Post by Ghani84 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,
I am currently on spouse visa that is ending in July 2015 and visa was granted on the basis of new system after July 2012.I would like to know few things to apply for new visa. What are the documents needed now, do I need to show same financial requirement if so my wife was working as full time job but now she is working same job as part time?
Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:08 pm

You need to meet the same financial conditions. Read through form FLR(M) and come back if you have any queries.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm

If you are working, you can combine income.

You will also have to pay the new NHS Surcharge. This will be £500 payable before submitting your application and in addition to the visa fee.
https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... n/overview
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

shoaibsuleman

Post by shoaibsuleman » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi

Im planning to apply FLR(M) for my wife and I've got a question in regards to english language requirement.

My wife has done MBA from Pakistan and she got UKNARIC certificate(Degree comparablilty certificate) confirming her qualification is comparable to "British Bachelor (Ordinary) degree" and she got the letter from the PK university confirming all the courses taught in English.

Would that fullfil her English Language requirement or she still need to give A1(correct me if Im wrong) english test?

Appreciate your quick reply!

Ta
Shoaib

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm

shoaibsuleman wrote:My wife has done MBA from Pakistan and she got UKNARIC certificate(Degree comparablilty certificate) confirming her qualification is comparable to "British Bachelor (Ordinary) degree" and she got the letter from the PK university confirming all the courses taught in English.
This will suffice.

There are 3 ways of meeting the English requirement.

1. Being from a majority of English speaking country

2. Having a degree taught in English confirmed by UK NARIC or PBS

3. Having passed an approved English language test from the SELT list.

Your wife qualifies with the second option.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

MockingJay
Newly Registered

Post by MockingJay » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 am

Hello
I entered the UK in September 2011 on a student visa.
In January 2013 I married the British citizen and obtained spouse/partner leave to remain visa. It expires in September this year.
As I understand I have 2 options (and it is up to me which one I choose?):
1- to prolong existing visa
2-apply for indefinite leave to remain.

I would rather apply for ILR. However, I am not sure if I am eligible to do so.
I do have a relevant qualification and I am ready to sit 'life in the UK' test.

I would be very thankful if you could help me with the following questions:
1- how many years do I have to live in the UK to apply for ILR? Is it 5 years? As I've been here almost 4 years; 2,5 years of which on spouse visa.
2- what application form do I need to use?
3- what are the fees?
4-am I allowed to sit Life in the UK more than once?
5- what supporting documents do I need to provide along with my application?

Many thanks

MJ

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:19 pm

MockingJay wrote:Hello
I entered the UK in September 2011 on a student visa.
In January 2013 I married the British citizen and obtained spouse/partner leave to remain visa. It expires in September this year.
As I understand I have 2 options (and it is up to me which one I choose?):
1- to prolong existing visa
2-apply for indefinite leave to remain.

I would rather apply for ILR. However, I am not sure if I am eligible to do so.
I do have a relevant qualification and I am ready to sit 'life in the UK' test.

I would be very thankful if you could help me with the following questions:
1- how many years do I have to live in the UK to apply for ILR? Is it 5 years? As I've been here almost 4 years; 2,5 years of which on spouse visa. You re-set your clock when you switched from student to FLR(M) as a spouse. You need to complete 5 years in this category before you qualify for ILR.
2- what application form do I need to use? FLR(M) for another 2.5 year extension
3- what are the fees? £649 postal, £1049 in person + £500 NHS surcharge payable online before submitting your application
4-am I allowed to sit Life in the UK more than once? You don't need to, the certificate remains valid, but English A1 level required unless you have a degree taught in English or are from an exempt country.
5- what supporting documents do I need to provide along with my application? Read through form FLR(M) guidance notes
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-15.pdf

Many thanks

MJ
(Casa, not CR001)

am123456
Newly Registered

Post by am123456 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:50 pm

I was granted a 2.5 years spouse visa in February 2013 and its expiring end of September 2015. Me and my mrs both work full time and with a combined income of over 60,000£ which obviously covers the financial requirements. I'm only seeking advice if we should apply for a postal visa or go to the window!! I'm working as a civil servant and my contract would only extended if i can provide visa asap! So I need my visa ASAP!! But I'm just not sure how this window application works!! Can someone please help if they've been through the same circumstances!!

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:58 pm

am123456 wrote:I was granted a 2.5 years spouse visa in February 2013 and its expiring end of September 2015. Me and my mrs both work full time and with a combined income of over 60,000£ which obviously covers the financial requirements. I'm only seeking advice if we should apply for a postal visa or go to the window!! I'm working as a civil servant and my contract would only extended if i can provide visa asap! So I need my visa ASAP!! But I'm just not sure how this window application works!! Can someone please help if they've been through the same circumstances!!

Thanks
Apply in person, it is quicker and you should get a decision on the day. You can apply within 28 days of your current visa expiring.

You need to pay the IHS Surcharge of £500 BEFORE applying, see Here (Click) as you will need the IHS Reference number. The £500 surcharge is in addition to the visa fee.

To book an appointment, see Here (Click)
The fee is £1,049 for an in person application.

Complete the form FLR(M) (Click) and get all your supporting documents together. Your partner should attend the appointment with you.

Arrive at your appointment, submit the application and wait for a decision, usually 2-4 hours. Your biometrics will be taken as part of your appointment on the day. Your new visa BRP card will be sent to you within 10 days after your appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Yelena
Newly Registered

Post by Yelena » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi,
I was granted spouse visa which expires in April 2016 adn Im planning to apply for FLR (M) in the beggining of 2016. Could you please help me with the following questions?
1. Is it just me who has to meet financial requirements or my husband as well? Also is just bank statments that I have to provide or there are any other documents? I work full-time and my salary is above £18 000.
2. I took IELTS exam in December 2012, can I still use this certificate?
Thanks a lot in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Yelena wrote:Hi,
I was granted spouse visa which expires in April 2016 adn Im planning to apply for FLR (M) in the beggining of 2016. Could you please help me with the following questions?
1. Is it just me who has to meet financial requirements or my husband as well? Also is just bank statments that I have to provide or there are any other documents? I work full-time and my salary is above £18 000. It is the sponsor that has to meet the requirement but for applications made in the UK, joint incomes can be used. Please do read through the FLR(M) form and guide, the documents you need to submit are explained (financial, cohab proof, etc etc)
2. I took IELTS exam in December 2012, can I still use this certificate? Does your test and your grades appear on This List (Click)
Thanks a lot in advance.
Don't forget that you have to pay the IHS Surcharge of £500 too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Yelena
Newly Registered

Post by Yelena » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:28 am

CR001 wrote:
Yelena wrote:Hi,
1. Is it just me who has to meet financial requirements or my husband as well? Also is just bank statments that I have to provide or there are any other documents? I work full-time and my salary is above £18 000. It is the sponsor that has to meet the requirement but for applications made in the UK, joint incomes can be used. Please do read through the FLR(M) form and guide, the documents you need to submit are explained (financial, cohab proof, etc etc) - [color=#FF0000]could please tell me what cohab proof is?And for the financial requirements is that the right guide?https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _final.pdf
[/color]
2. I took IELTS exam in December 2012, can I still use this certificate? Does your test and your grades appear on This List (Click)
Thanks a lot in advance.
Don't forget that you have to pay the IHS Surcharge of £500 too.
- Thanks! yeh, I've checked on that one. What about biometrical data? is it a must as well?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:39 pm

cohab proof = cohabitation proof = proof that you are living together. 6 documents (bills, letters etc) in joint names spread as evenly as possible over the 2.5 year period from 3 different sources. If you don't have 6 in joint names, you'll need to submit 12 in single names (6 each).
Yes you will need biometrics and will be sent a letter after you submit the application.
(Casa, not CR001)

njpal
Newly Registered

Post by njpal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi just a quick question please.

Wife's spouse visa is expiring in November and currently completing the application.

My wife who was previously working with another company got a new job in June. The current employer has done a proof of employment letter also stating that she is getting £18,000 per annum before tax.

1. Does she also need a letter from her previous employer
2. In the documents section do they require my payslips/bank statements or my wife's?

Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:12 pm

njpal wrote:Hi just a quick question please.

Wife's spouse visa is expiring in November and currently completing the application.

My wife who was previously working with another company got a new job in June. The current employer has done a proof of employment letter also stating that she is getting £18,000 per annum before tax.

1. Does she also need a letter from her previous employer No, just pay slips + P60 if she has been issued one.
2. In the documents section do they require my payslips/bank statements or my wife's? Your payslips/bank statements as you are your wife's sponsor, but joint earnings will qualify. So submit both.

Thanks.
(Casa, not CR001)

njpal
Newly Registered

Post by njpal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks a lot.

Filling in section 7 now and getting quite confused.

I am getting £42,000 p/a before tax – So applying as 7.3A category A (as with my employer for more than a year)

But as the form has 2 columns I also filled my wife’s column as she also currently working £18,000 p/a basic salary.

She has been in this job for only 4 months.

In her previous job where she worked for a year she was earning £7.50 per hour but depending on the shifts, the hours/days were variable.

So when it comes to the end of 7.3A it asks “what was your income from salaried employment before tax in 12 months prior to date of application”

Q1.
For myself I have put down n/a but what am I meant to put down for her?

Lastly it asks the combined total income for you and sponsor.

Q2.
I understand my figure = £42,000 but what about hers?

Q3. On the other hand to make it simple should I just leave my wife’s details off and put in only my details (even though in every question it asks you/your sponsor).

This would make more sense as otherwise it puts me in Category A and her in Category B and as I understand you can only use one Category.

Thanks

mayaelci
Newly Registered

Post by mayaelci » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi

My husband came to the UK on a spouse visa in sept 2012. Hi visa is due for renewal in May 2016, however I like to gather information in advance.

I have got couple of questions and I would appreciate your input:

1) We were not aware that my husband needs a biometric immigration document until today (I read it in the FLR application form). Can someone advise on whether he needs to apply for this ASAP or the application is made as part of his FLR?

2) How many months in advance can we apply for the FLR?

thanks in advance

Maya

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:02 pm

mayaelci you have high jacked another members thread. Please post your question in your own thread to avoid confusion.
(Casa, not CR001)

njpal
Newly Registered

Belfast Centre

Post by njpal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi everyone.

Hi booked an appointment for my wife at the Belfast office next friday as her Visa is due to expire on 5th of November as this was the earliest appt. we could get.

She has a UK spouse Visa since Feb 2013.

I am about to book flights.
Just wanted to ask does she need a separate Visa to travel to Belfast???

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 pm

No, Belfast is Northern Ireland which is part of the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)