ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel within EU during ILR due to family illness

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bobtail
Newly Registered

Travel within EU during ILR due to family illness

Post by bobtail » Sun May 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any advice in this sad situation. My grandma has been taken to hospital this week again; she had an operation and she'll have to stay for a while.
I sent my application about a month ago via settlement checking service and obviously am not able to travel at the moment, but I'd love to see my grandma soon before her condition gets worse.

I don't expect my application to be sped up, but I was hoping someone might know whether this might be a circumstance in which travel would be permitted, especially because it's within EU, or if withdrawal is the only option, would I get a refund? Perhaps then I could apply at the PEO?

Of course, now I wish I went to the PEO straight away, but I didn't think I needed to rush as I still have plenty of time left on my current visa (and my country is now in EU).

I'll call the HO next week to hopefully get exact information, but I just don't know what to expect.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel within EU during ILR due to family illness

Post by Amber » Sun May 11, 2014 5:18 pm

If you used the SCS then why can't you travel? You should have received your passport back?

I assume your spouse/civil partner is British? If so, you can travel together within EEA using EEA rights.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

bobtail
Newly Registered

Post by bobtail » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am

You are correct, my partner is British and I got my passport back after the SCS. I'm just worried they'll withdraw the application if I leave the country.

Thanks for the advice, it has given me an idea of what to expect. More importantly, I hope my grandma will be fine and I won't need to worry about her :)

bobtail
Newly Registered

Post by bobtail » Mon May 12, 2014 11:47 am

I called the settlement contact centre just now and I was told that travelling outside UK will most likely result in a withdrawal of my application.

I wouldn't mind the withdrawal so much as I would the no-refund thing. If it was refundable, I'd withdraw it myself straight away, visit grandma over the weekend and then do the same day service earliest possible.

Anyway, I thought updating here with an answer might help someone in the future. :)