ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Meaning Of No Employment as a Sports Coach?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Etrigan
Newly Registered

Meaning Of No Employment as a Sports Coach?

Post by Etrigan » Tue May 13, 2014 11:42 am

What does the Policy Guidance mean by 'No employment as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach).'?

I understand you can only work for the business you are running. However, my business will be a gym. This will include training people in martial arts, including professional cage fighters, and karate, Judo, etc fighters, some of whom may become professionals or international competitors. I am a martial arts coach, and so of course I intend to train my clients/students in my gym business.

If I do this, am I violating the visa conditions? What was the purpose of that rule? Does it apply to people who want to set up a fitness business as self-employed sports coaches like myself?

NAR

Re: Meaning Of No Employment as a Sports Coach?

Post by NAR » Tue May 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Etrigan wrote:What does the Policy Guidance mean by 'No employment as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach).'?

I understand you can only work for the business you are running. However, my business will be a gym. This will include training people in martial arts, including professional cage fighters, and karate, Judo, etc fighters, some of whom may become professionals or international competitors. I am a martial arts coach, and so of course I intend to train my clients/students in my gym business.

If I do this, am I violating the visa conditions? What was the purpose of that rule? Does it apply to people who want to set up a fitness business as self-employed sports coaches like myself?
Working only for yourself, you should have no problems, and if you are doing it via the 200K route then i don't think there is any restriction on the level or type of business you can do as long as you make 2 jobs in three years and invested all the 200K.

I had a similar question few days ago and so far the correct understanding of this rule in your case is that Team GB Taekwondo can't hire you to utilize your skills to train their members for the 2016 olympics for example. (not being employed as sports couch by others, in your gym, you are employing yourself)