ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MAIL POST APPLICATION CLOSE TO EXPIRY DATE

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DLAM
Newly Registered

MAIL POST APPLICATION CLOSE TO EXPIRY DATE

Post by DLAM » Tue May 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi all,

My tier 1 general migrant visa expired 09 May.

Through work, I couriered the package (pick up 08 May) - and was told that they would deliver to Home Office in Durham 09 May/Friday first thing in the morning.

Today I received the courier delivery confirmation - it was delivered MONDAY 12 May.

So, although I sent/mailed courier Thursday 08 May.

It arrived at home office 12 May.

My visa expired 09 May.

Is this going to create a bad issue for my visa application?

Everything else on the visa extension is perfectly in good order.....

In short, I mailed the appplication ONE DAY before expiry.

The Home office rcvd the application THREE DAYS after expiry at 11 am on 12 May......

I am very worried.
I cannot believe my company guaranteed Friday 09 May delivery and I JUST only found out now - they did NOT deliver it 09 May - but rather 12 May.....

PLEASE HELP!!
thank you

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: MAIL POST APPLICATION CLOSE TO EXPIRY DATE

Post by Amber » Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 pm

The application date is the date it is posted, just keep proof of postage.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

masterstroke33
Newly Registered

Post by masterstroke33 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello,

I think i do disagree with Amber's remark thou. As you have mentioned that this was couriered, and as per home office guidance for postal applications, any application that was sent in by courier will only be registered as the date that it was received hence it is likely that your application is treated as out of time and hence might not be entitled to an appeal should anything go wrong. Hence it is always advisable to use the regular post office as it is deemed that the day it is posted at the post office is the date it was received on behalf of the home office.

Anyway i think you just have to keep your fingers crossed and hope you have made no errors. All the best!!!!!!!

DLAM
Newly Registered

Post by DLAM » Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 pm

OK....

I am obviously in full panic mode right now

I cannot let myself be deported because of the incompetence of our courier....

And you are saying they can take away my right to appeal?

I pulled the language from the tier 1 guidance rules.....

The date of application will be taken to be the following:
• Where the application form is sent by post, the date of posting; or
• Where the application form is sent by courier, the date on which it is delivered to the Home
Office of the Home Office; or
• Where the application form is submitted in person at a Premium Services Centre (PSC), the
date on which the application and associated payment is accepted.
43. You, or any member of the public can report illegal immigrants and other immigration
offences via our website www.gov.uk/report-immigration-crime

what do you suggest i do?

bc the home office most certainly, can deny the entire application as late if they rcvd it on the 12th of May and my visa expired on 09 may

(1) Official letter from courier explaining date they picked it up, and date they dropped it off and taking responsibility for the error

(2) official letter from my employer stating they were guaranteed friday arrival date and personally hand delivered it to courier on thursday may 08

will that help?

Further - the address for delivery is in DURHAM - which is half a days journey from London.... could an argument be made that no courier could get there same day or due to distance from London etc?

(3) I read somewhere in guidance that there is a 'late' issue if you are applying more than 28 days after your visa expires...

Implicit in this I read that you can apply for an extension within 28 days AFTER your visa expires
Is this not the case?

Would they consider extenuating circumstances?

The ENTIRE rest of the tier 1 general migrant extension visa is in impeccable condition
But you hear horror stories of the office finding ONE detail wrong

CAN THEY DENY MY ENTIRE VISA APPLICATION ?? because of courier error? because they did not rcv it on 09 MAY?
Because they received it 12 MAY?

I am beyond words with worry.

I am actually physically sick right now.....

What can I do?

What if I get both the letter from my employer (who hired the courier) and a letter from the courier itself - both signed and on letterhead - explaining the situation???

Can one apply for a visa extension even 28 days after their visa has expired?

HELP!!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 pm

So far as the application was in order, it would be ok so far as you applied within 28 days of the leave expiring. My statement was correct, I just didn't read your post correctly, that you had sent it by courier.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

fusion2014

Post by fusion2014 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 am

Your application will be processed. It will be valid. But it is a remark on you during your next visa processing why you have had used 28 days of grace period.
Home office will try their best to give the positive results to the applicants.
I am an example for this, I was applying for my first Tier 1 extension in 2012, they have calculated time required for my ILR, gave extension from my expiry date instead from my application processed date though I have applied 1 month before my expiry in person.

You have to blame your self for taking such a highest possible risk by sending application one day before visa expiry date that too in courier.

1) you will not have chance to appeal if some thing goes wrong
2) you will lose £1600+
3) In the present situation , as they are closing all the doors for tier 1. you will be wasting your precious tier 1 visa if any thing goes wrong in the processing. There might be thousands of people feeling sad as they don't have option to enter into the UK through tier1.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Wed May 14, 2014 10:52 am

I will agree with fusion2014. But don't worry too much, your application will be processed. But next time when you apply for extension or ILR. You need mention that you have applied for visa extension with in 28 days after expiration.

romy4you

Post by romy4you » Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm

u should send by royal mail special delivery that next day delivery