ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport - Parent's DOB Unknown

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Adojay

British Passport - Parent's DOB Unknown

Post by Adojay » Wed May 14, 2014 12:04 pm

HI All,

I am applying for British passport, but have a major headache. I do not remember what my parents DOB is. When I applied for naturalization, I chose a DOB for them rather than leaving it blank. Unfortunately, during a recent house move I cannot locate where a copy of the parent's details on form AN which I filled when I applied for naturalization. As I am applying for passport, I am not sure what to do now that I am being asked for parent's DOB again. I understand it should not really matter, as I obtained citizenship by naturalization rather than by parents/grandparent's. I don't know how to overcome this issue.

I called the passport helpline, and an agent said I should put unknown and explain reason in section 8. Am weary of being asked how I managed to include DOB details on form AN, but not on passport application form. I have a good mind of putting any dates I can think of and hope no one queries why it differs from details on my naturalization form.

Guys, what do you suggest?
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Re: British Passport - Parent's DOB Unknown

Post by shahid2000 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:37 pm

I think this is a hard one mate. There will also be the issue that for the identity interview for first passport they almost always ask you for the parents details including date and place of birth - I am not sure whether they only ask about the information you provide on the passport form or whether they also look at other UKBA information.

IMO try very very hard to find what DOB you wrote. As a last resort if you cannot find it then leave it blank and hope for the best but dont provide this reason for not writing DOB. I dont think it will go in your favour if you say to them that you did not know the date so you put a random date, that would equate to providing false information.

Doing a SAR with UKBA might help - just an idea, not sure it will contain parent's DOB so do ask for a second opinion before you spend the money.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Wed May 14, 2014 2:18 pm

shahid2000 wrote:I think this is a hard one mate. There will also be the issue that for the identity interview for first passport they almost always ask you for the parents details including date and place of birth - I am not sure whether they only ask about the information you provide on the passport form or whether they also look at other UKBA information.

IMO try very very hard to find what DOB you wrote. As a last resort if you cannot find it then leave it blank and hope for the best but dont provide this reason for not writing DOB. I dont think it will go in your favour if you say to them that you did not know the date so you put a random date, that would equate to providing false information.

Doing a SAR with UKBA might help - just an idea, not sure it will contain parent's DOB so do ask for a second opinion before you spend the money.
Thanks Shahid.

I will continue to search for the missing piece of information. Worse case if I cannot find it, I will leave it blank. When asked the reason I will simply say I was given the information previously by a close relation but can no longer find it due to home move. Unfortunately, he/she is no longer available to provide the information again. I don't want to provide another random DOB this time to avoid being accused of misrepresentation. I've worked so hard to get to this stage so don't want to blow it now.

I read on a previous similar thread that someone actually did provide a random DOB due to mum being late, and got her passport successfully processed. The point am getting at is how important is DOB of parents/grandparents of naturalized citizens to HM Passport Office. Do they check what you provided earlier, or are their interview questions based on whatever you've provided in your form, plus observing one's body language as one answers the questions? Well, we'll never be too certain.

Thanks Shahid once again. More suggestions are welcome.

- Vince Lombardi

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:40 pm

..... The point am getting at is how important is DOB of parents/grandparents of naturalized citizens to HM Passport Office. Do they check what you provided earlier, or are their interview questions based on whatever you've provided in your form, plus observing one's body language as one answers the questions?
Once you are naturalized you are a BC and thus entitled for a passport. The sole reason for passport interview is to verify your identity. I would imagine that parent's DOB or grand parent's DOB will be of less importance to HMPO if it is not related to your case. Having said that if someone cannot provide the DOB of their parents which he has provided ealier on a form then it does raise serious concerns about their identity.
I have recently had my interview and while I was reading on the forum to prepare for mine a number of people mentioned that HMPO can ask you about anything which you have been saying in all your previous UKBA applications from the very beginning.
In my case they only asked about the things which were on the passport form. The impression I got from the whole interview is that they select a couple of pieces of information related to you before the interview and the interviewer knows the exact answers to those questions. They start by getting you to talk about pretty much anything like your daily routine or work and then in the middle of this conversation they ask you for questions which they had selected. For sure they assess your body language among other things. They sometimes also do cross-questioning.
Hope this helps.

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Mon May 19, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks Shahid.

Good news is that I have now found the missing doc containing the parent's DOB details I used for naturalization application.

I will now go ahead and complete the section 4 details on the passport application form.

Thanks once again for your time.

- Vince Lombardi