ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and English Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

induhere
Newly Registered

ILR and English Requirement

Post by induhere » Wed May 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Friends,

I am on Teir 1 Dependent.I am due to apply my ILR.My university is recognised in PBS and i got 10points for my degree.Is this sufficient for my english Language requirement.Did any one check with Home Office regarding this.

Many Thanks
Indu

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Re: ILR and English Requirement

Post by silent_warrior » Wed May 14, 2014 1:40 pm

If it's a foreign degree then get a certificate from UKNARIC as proof of comparability

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed May 14, 2014 1:49 pm

If the PBS calculator awards 20 or more points for qualification and 10 points for English Skills then a print out should suffice, no need for a NARIC statement of comparability.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

induhere
Newly Registered

Post by induhere » Wed May 14, 2014 5:00 pm

My degree is foreign one.Got only 10 points for english requirement and 0 points for award.
Called home office and they said if the degree is recognised in pbs and scored 10 points for english language, that is sufficient.
So confused which info is correct.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 pm

They've misinformed you:
Page 37 wrote:You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:

 A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language.
You'd need a NARIC statement of comparability and proof it was taught in English.

In addition to LIUK.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mrjsg

Post by mrjsg » Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 am

Hi Amber,

My wife (Tier 1 dependent) has Master degree and showing in calculator but points for English is 0. We got a letter from her Uni saying medium was English.. Can you please advise which service we need to choose from UK NARIC for ILR application?

Thanks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 15, 2014 10:33 am

The NARIC statement of comparability.

induhere
Newly Registered

Post by induhere » Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am

Thank you very much for the info.

I have two queries.

1.I have my PEO appointment booked on 2nd June.Can i reschedule that with out any charge?

2.Date of my 1st tier 1 approval is on 21st Nov 2009.If i use this date as my first approval my degree scores 0 points.
If i change the date after 6th April 2010 my degree scores 30 points.why is this?

Can some one enlighten this.
Many thanks.

mrjsg

Post by mrjsg » Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks Amber, another query she also have expired IELTS with 7 bands. Does that make any benefit?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu May 15, 2014 3:54 pm

An expired test ought to be acceptable.

induhere
Newly Registered

Post by induhere » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 am

Hi, People who has first TIER 1 application fall in 31 march 2009 to 06 April 2010 period, points based calculator wont allot any points to bachelors degree.

If you want summary printout just for KOLL requirement, set a date after 06 April 2010 and get printout. They should accept this.

I got reply from settlement service

Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries
May 16

to me
Dear Indusha

For the purposes of the KOLL requirement it doesn’t matter what date is entered into the calculator. The Home Office uses this to confirm that the degree is comparable to a UK degree and taught in English. UK NARIC update this information on our behalf.

Therefore we will accept a PBS printout as evidence providing that you have scored the required points to confirm that your degree is comparable, please enclose this with your application as well as your degree certificate.

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office

By the way I applied for ILR in liverpool PEO, they did not ask single question about this printout, which means they accept this.

rockey.nebhwani
Newly Registered

Post by rockey.nebhwani » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Indu,

This is very useful. Thanks for sharing. I had the similar problem and I have my appointment next week.

I have another issue. I had applied for Tier 1 General as dependent from outside the UK. What was your situation? When I select "Outside the United Kingdom", I can't use the calculator as that option is no longer allowed. I am assuming that I can choose "Inside the United Kingdom" for the purpose of KOLl requirement.

I appreciate if you can share what option you chose on the calculator and what was your exact situation?

Thanks,
Rockey

induhere
Newly Registered

Post by induhere » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Rockey,

PBS is asking 'Where are you applying from?'.This is the question about your current application.

I made my current application inside UK.Obviously,I did choose Inside UK irrespective of my initial application.