ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Serving notice of intent to marry

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TheApprentice
Newly Registered

Serving notice of intent to marry

Post by TheApprentice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi,

My partner and I are going to serve our notice of intent to marry on 2nd July and taking along our COA. We have a specific date in mind to marry, but have been told by the registry office that we should book the registry on the day we serve notice. Does this sound right, as I was under the impression that you needed to take your date and venue info with you to the meeting to serve notice?

We are planning to get married in the same registry office that we are serving notice in.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:34 am

I am slightly confused by your post. But it seems that the two of you are going along to a designated Register Office on 2nd July, to give the required Notice of Intention to Marry.

There is no legal requirement for you to specify the marriage date at that time. Once the notice has been posted on the public board for 15 days, they issue permission to marry, and that is valid for 1 year.

However there is nothing to stop you booking the Register Office when you give your Notice of Intention to Marry and as you have a specific date in mind, you should indeed do so. After all the earlier you book it the more certain you can be that you get the time and date you desire.
John