ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elderly grandmother

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Shogun300
Newly Registered

Elderly grandmother

Post by Shogun300 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Hello,

I have a following question:

I am an EU citizen who plans to apply for British citizenship in January 2014 and been living in UK since 1996. I have an elderly grandmother, 85 years old - Russian with Uzbek passport, who is currently residing in Lithuania. I would like to bring her over as there is no one to look after her. Her husband, my grandad, was murdered a few years ago. She has all the documentation that came with it. Now, I have heard that in cases like this, it is possible for her to move and stay indefinitely as long as I can support and accommodate her. Money is not an issue and I can easily look after her.

So my question is it possible and how long does it take to get everything sorted? Thank you very much in advance.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Elderly grandmother

Post by askmeplz82 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:40 pm

If you want to bring her do it now before you send your BC application.

http://www.altalex.eu/content/right-res ... in-meaning
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Shogun300
Newly Registered

Post by Shogun300 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you very much for your help. So just to be clear: it is standard and it shouldn't be a problem? Is there a special body that I need to apply through?

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 am

I only have a recent (successful) experience of bringing my elderly mother (I am EU citizen, working in UK, she has Russian passport). But all the regulations I used talked about dependent "ascendants", not just "parents". Here they mention grandparents explicitly:
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit
The only hurdle is that you will have to prove that she is fully dependent on you financially. On this forum there were people who had problems proving it in front of Moscow Embassy, but Lithuania must be easier.
She will have to apply for Family permit (entry clearance), come here on it, and then apply for residence (EEA2). It is quick and (almost) free.