ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel rights for EU citizens

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Travel rights for EU citizens

Post by a.s.b.o » Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 am

Guys,

please advise. I travelled today on the train between St.Petersburg (Russia) and Helsinki (Finland). I provided a Russian passport to Russian immigration (there were no pain, surprisingly) and an EU passport to Finnish immigration (exceptional dickheads, imho). They demanded to see my "other" passport and I refused. I argued that all I need to demonstrate was already provided. They got customs to ransack my suitcase, pulled my Russian passport and were left puzzled why I was flabbergasted. I consider SolVit and Internal Finnish bodies.

I feel that demanding other documents, beyond an EU passport was unwarranted. I feel that search was unwarranted. I feel that casual flicking through my currencies with no systematic effort to calculate / argue rationale for going through my funds is unwarranted.

Please suggest possible avenues for confirming and enforcing my response to these shortcomings.

Thank you

rosebead
Member of Standing

Re: Travel rights for EU citizens

Post by rosebead » Wed May 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Submit an official complaint to the European Commission maybe if I had to guess? I have to say that was poor treatment shown to you - I don't think it was acceptable behaviour from the Finnish immigration.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed May 28, 2014 10:11 pm

There might be concern about fraud or stolen identity, seen as the passport you showed did not show disembarkation stamp.

But he should have acted more politely.

In normal circumstances such behaviour is unacceptable.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Wed May 28, 2014 10:43 pm

I just applied for a visa, they ask for all previous passport. The reason is obvious, they want to check previous travel history and if you've been bad and deported or banned from somewhere.
If you are refusing to show other passport they will be suspicious that you have something to hide. They will then tear you to peices to see if they can find out what you might be hiding, it's their job.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm

357mag wrote:I just applied for a visa, they ask for all previous passport. The reason is obvious, they want to check previous travel history and if you've been bad and deported or banned from somewhere.
If you are refusing to show other passport they will be suspicious that you have something to hide. They will then tear you to peices to see if they can find out what you might be hiding, it's their job.
Tearing to pieces is a strong lingo, unless caring packaging in cavities. I will complain and use solvit. I am also missing 50 euros after the search, who would have thought?! I stopped complaining about Eastern European (CIS) practices by taking this train regularly. Finnish can be quite crude.