ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Comparing language requirements A1 Vs C1.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jhong
Newly Registered

Comparing language requirements A1 Vs C1.

Post by Jhong » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am

Hi,

My wife is applying for a "family of a settled person" visa. She needs to meet English level "A1" in speaking and listening.

She has a Cambridge English: Business Higher certificate at level C1. She passed at Grade C and scored:

Listening – Weak
Speaking – Borderline
Reading – Good
Writing – Good

The detailed requirements state:

- The Business English Higher is recognized (Page 8 ) and corresponds to levels B2, C1 & C2.

For recognition as "Grade C1" she must:
Pass at Grade B OR
Grade C with all sections "Borderline" or higher

==> so she doesn't meet "Grade C1" according to the requirements.

For recognition as "Grade B2" she must:
Pass at "Level B2" with all sections "Weak" or higher.

==> So she meets "Grade B2" according to the requirements.

So, I believe her qualification would count as at least a level B2 pass, which should satisfy the "Level A1" requirement for the visa.

However, there is no mention of A1 equivalency in the document.

is my reading correct, that her qualification should be fine? Is B2 enough to satisfy the "A1 listening and speaking" requirement? Or should I be worried that an immigration officer could apply "judgement"?

claraluh
United Kingdom

Re: Comparing language requirements A1 Vs C1.

Post by claraluh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 am

Your wife's qualification is perfectly fine. She has a B2/C1 qualification, which is actually higher than a A1, so it means it is acceptable.