ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization for European citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

francesca_
Newly Registered

Naturalization for European citizen

Post by francesca_ » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and looking into the questions and answers I find this forum to be an excellent resource. Great stuff :)
I am looking for some advice on my naturalization process. I am Italian and I have been living and working in UK since March 2008. As I understand I should have permanent residence after 5 years of exercising treaty rights in UK.
However I had applied for my permanent residence card (filling up EEA3) and received it on May 2013. I thought I could use my permanent residence card as a proof for naturalization but it turns out that I need to hold the permanent residence card for one year since the date it was issued (May 2013).
I know I can apply for naturalization without the permanent residence card by providing my P60s (for last 6 years). I have got two questions:
1) In the last year 6 years (exercising treaty rights in UK) I have been taking a few breaks (not more than a month) in my employment. Is that an issue?
2) Are there any chances of rejection because I don’t have a 1 year valid permanent residence card, or should I wait and hold on to my permanent residence card for a year.
Thanks in advance.

badratio

Re: Naturalization for European citizen

Post by badratio » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 pm

It's June 2014 now. 12 months have passed so you can apply.

I wouldn't worry about the breaks and stuff as you've already been issued with PR confirming it's all good. Someone correct if I'm wrong? Can they go back on their decision?
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

francesca_
Newly Registered

Post by francesca_ » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks badratio for your quick reply.
My apologies I meant I had received my permanent residence card (filling up EEA3) on May 2014, so one year would be on May 2015.
So do I have to wait one year? Or the fact that UKBA has issued a permanent residence card implies that everything is alright and I can apply now for my naturalisation.

badratio

Post by badratio » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Q5: I'm a EEA national/family member of EEA national. When can I apply for naturalisation?

Under EEA regulations, Permanent Residence status is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. You need to hold PR status for 1 year to be eligible for naturalisation (unless you are married to a BC) so effectively you can apply after 6 years of residence in the UK. Having a PR Confirmation (following EEA3/EEA4 application) is optional and is not required in order to apply for naturalisation.

You have two options:

1. Apply after 6 years in the UK. This includes 5 years of exercising treaty rights + 1 year with PR. You will need to provide proof of the 5 years (similar to what is needed in EEA3/EEA4 application). Form AN has a specific section (Q2.4-2.6) for such application.
2. Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

If you hold a PR Confirmation for less than 1 year but have lived in the UK for 6 years, you can apply using option (1). The PR confirmation can only be used if you apply 1 year after the issue date. The reason is that the PR Confirmation only contains one date - issue date. It doesn't state when the PR status was actually acquired. If you want to use a PR date prior to the issue date, you will need to provide treaty rights proof to prove it.
Hope this helps.
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015