ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for new born to parents on ILR visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shahmilan24
Newly Registered

British passport for new born to parents on ILR visa

Post by shahmilan24 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello members,

We are Indian parents holding ILR which we got last year September 2013.

We had baby this April. Do we apply for British or Indian passport for the baby and how long (weeks/months) does the whole process take to complete before we could travel. Can I just apply for British passport or I need to get my baby register by fill MN1 form to register child under 18 as British citizen. I research on internet and I am getting mixed advise. When I saw MN1 guide they mentioned

"Automatic acquisition of British citizenship

Children who have automatically acquired British citizenship do not need to be
registered. There are two ways a child can automatically be a British citizen without
needing to register.

1 British citizenship otherwise than by descent

A child born in the UK to parents one or both of whom are

• British citizens, or
are settled in the UK at the time the child is born, or
• members of the UK armed forces

is automatically a British citizen otherwise than by descent and does not need to be
registered.
A child born in a British overseas territory (see page 8) after 21 May 2002
will also be a British citizen if, at the time of the birth, either parent is a British citizen,
or settled in the United Kingdom, or settled in that particular territory, or is a member
of the UK armed forces."

Can any one help us and show us clear process to get British Passport.

Thanks

Milan

solospy
Member of Standing

Re: British passport for new born to parents on ILR visa

Post by solospy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 pm

If your child was born in the UK there is no need to apply for registration of your child as a British citizen by using form MN1 if born AFTER you gained ILR. Your child can apply directly for a British passport by sending parents passports with their biometrics and child's birth certificate. On average it should take about 1-2 weeks to get child's passport but with the passports backlog like it is today, it may take longer

shahmilan24
Newly Registered

Post by shahmilan24 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks mate....

My child was born in UK and we get our ILR before he was born. According to you I just need to apply for British passport and documents you mentioned. Do I need to send detail child birth certificate for both short and detail one?

solospy
Member of Standing

Post by solospy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:14 pm

You need to send the detailed birth certificate which have child's parents name

Gordochef
Newly Registered

Post by Gordochef » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi I have a question and I hope you guys can help,
I am applying for my Ilr soon my daughter was born in uk while I was a work permit what do I need to do and how can apply for her British passport ?

Thanks,

Oscar

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Gordochef wrote:Hi I have a question and I hope you guys can help,
I am applying for my Ilr soon my daughter was born in uk while I was a work permit what do I need to do and how can apply for her British passport ?

Thanks,

Oscar
You've tagged this onto a 2 year old thread. I suggest you post this in your own thread.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.