ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby travelling on an expired EEA family permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Coulobre24
Newly Registered

Baby travelling on an expired EEA family permit

Post by Coulobre24 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:56 am

Hi All,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm an EEA national living in the UK. My 9 months old baby is born in the USA and came to the UK with her mum, both on an EEA family card. My wife is currently applying for the EEA residence card but we have chosen not to do it for our daugther and apply directly for a French passport instead.
The full process is long because we need to do a translation of the birth certificate and as a result the 6 months family permit has expired.
I understand this is not too much of an issue while staying in the country however I wonder if I can travel with her this summer. To recap she would have only a US passport with an expired family permit in it and I probably won't be able to prove that I'm applying for her French passport. I'll be able to provide a birth certificate and an aknoledgment of paternity though.

I wonder if any of you have tried to re-enter the UK with an expired EEA family permit and how the UK immigration has responded to it.
My understanding is that they can't refuse you entry but can give you an hard time though.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
D

Hubba

Re: Baby travelling on an expired EEA family permit

Post by Hubba » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Coulobre24 wrote:Hi All,

I have a bit of an unusual question. I'm an EEA national living in the UK. My 9 months old baby is born in the USA and came to the UK with her mum, both on an EEA family card. My wife is currently applying for the EEA residence card but we have chosen not to do it for our daugther and apply directly for a French passport instead.
The full process is long because we need to do a translation of the birth certificate and as a result the 6 months family permit has expired.
I understand this is not too much of an issue while staying in the country however I wonder if I can travel with her this summer. To recap she would have only a US passport with an expired family permit in it and I probably won't be able to prove that I'm applying for her French passport. I'll be able to provide a birth certificate and an aknoledgment of paternity though.

I wonder if any of you have tried to re-enter the UK with an expired EEA family permit and how the UK immigration has responded to it.
My understanding is that they can't refuse you entry but can give you an hard time though.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
D
Being an US passport holder, your daughter is a non-visa national. You don't need to apply for an EEA Family Permit for her. The worst thing that can happen is for her to enter the country as a visitor. Not too much a trouble for her. You could also request the immigration officer to stamp your daughter's passport with an 1A code stamp, being yourself an EEA national and your daughter your dependant.