ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FP refused please help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

subtlegirl

FP refused please help

Post by subtlegirl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice please.

I came to this country age 16 then left to finish my exams and returned age 17 in 2000. 

When I came here it was to live with my mum who had indefinite leave to remain at the time. When we rang the home office for advice regarding my application I was informed that I would not qualify. We soon learnt this was poor advice. 

I stayed on as a student and became an over stayer in 2007. A lot was going on then. 

I'm now pregnant (the dad is also an overstayer) and I've decided to apply for fp on the grounds of 1. Wrongful advice and being eligible at the point of entry 2. Long Stay in the UK. I came here as a child my mum has no property in my home country and I'd be homeless should I return. I have very little ties with my country my aunt and grandmother who look after me have since left the country. 3. I lost my first baby he is buried in our local cemetery whose grave I visit often.

I was refused because I did not meet their criteria and they did not acknowledged that I was eligible for leave to remain at the point of entry at all. 

Reasons for refusal are

1. They said for the 17 years and 11 months I spent in my country I'd built sufficient ties there. (Note I'm my mother's only child and I do not have a close relationship with my father)

2. I do not live here for 20 years nor do I meet the half a life criteria. 

3. No restriction to visit baby (bare on mind travelling back to the UK will be difficult

they did not address the fact that I was eligible for ILR at the point of entry, poor advice meant I did not apply. They said nothing about this.

We are now going for judicial review. 

I just need to know because I really have a lot at stake here. Your advice would be appreciated. 

Do I have a strong case? 

subtlegirl

Re: FP refused please help

Post by subtlegirl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 am

Any advice please?

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Still no one is able to advise me on this?

Does it mean my case is unusual. Do I have little grounds or do I have sufficient grounds to have a desired outcome of ilr?

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Amber,

You seem to be well informed on this forum. Do you have any advice?

I've had quite a lot of views but no feedback.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

I wish you luck with your JR.

Based on the information you have supplied your JR is likely to fail. The court will strip out the emotional parts of your claim and consider only the bare facts and legal basis.

Looking at it dispassionately your case is extremely weak:

Unless you have written confirmation of the ILR advise given by UKBA at the time you can not rely on that point
You are a long term overstayer
Your partner is also an overstayer
You have begun a family in the UK knowing that you nor your partner have a legal right to remain.

There will be a whole raft of secondary issues thrown into the mix to discredit you if it goes to JR - illegal working, use of NHS for child birth etc etc.

The rule changes in the past years have made it extremely difficult for overstayer claims such as yours to suceed.

The emotional points that you are making do not constitute legal basis and I appreciate that they are practical points that you will feel support your argument however they do not alter the facts.

What does your legal rep say about your chances of success?

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am

Frontier Mole wrote:I wish you luck with your JR.

Based on the information you have supplied your JR is likely to fail. The court will strip out the emotional parts of your claim and consider only the bare facts and legal basis.

Looking at it dispassionately your case is extremely weak:

Unless you have written confirmation of the ILR advise given by UKBA at the time you can not rely on that point
You are a long term overstayer
Your partner is also an overstayer
You have begun a family in the UK knowing that you nor your partner have a legal right to remain.

There will be a whole raft of secondary issues thrown into the mix to discredit you if it goes to JR - illegal working, use of NHS for child birth etc etc.

The rule changes in the past years have made it extremely difficult for overstayer claims such as yours to suceed.

The emotional points that you are making do not constitute legal basis and I appreciate that they are practical points that you will feel support your argument however they do not alter the facts.

What does your legal rep say about your chances of success?
Hi Frontier Mole,

Thank you for your honest opinion. Do you believe Judicial Review will be a long drawn out process with my case?

Thanks for the advice and the honesty.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:41 am

I'm also the primary career of my cousin whose a British citizen. Her mum is in the United States and no longer resides in her home country and her dad who's British is not her career.

I've been her career from day 1 in 2008.

Would that strengthen my case?

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 am

Just noticed that I did not answer your question. My solicitor told me I have over 50% chance. She warned me of the dangers but the fact you said it's extremely weak makes me question why I went ahead with the application.

Would going to JR be more of a disadvantage to me?

The illegal working etc you mentioned I prefer to not make the situation worse.

What would you advise I do?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

subtlegirl wrote:I'm also the primary career of my cousin whose a British citizen. Her mum is in the United States and no longer resides in her home country and her dad who's British is not her career.

Probably make it worse, it's working illegally, even if unpaid....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Wanderer wrote:
subtlegirl wrote:I'm also the primary career of my cousin whose a British citizen. Her mum is in the United States and no longer resides in her home country and her dad who's British is not her career.

Probably make it worse, it's working illegally, even if unpaid....
Hi Wanderer,

I'm her guardian not a career as in terms of working to look after her.

Without me she will not be in the UK.

That's what I meant.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Just ignore Wanderer he can't help himself. Which Country are you native?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Amber wrote:Just ignore Wanderer he can't help himself. Which Country are you native?
Thank you Amber I'm native to Dominica

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm

You'll be looking at arguing you have no cultural or family ties with the Dominica, can you do that?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Amber wrote:You'll be looking at arguing you have no cultural or family ties with the Dominica, can you do that?
I can argue that. I'm my mother only child. The first of my dad 10 children we do not have a close relationship. It's always my mum who looked after me.

When my mum travelled to UK there was no one to look after me except a sister who now lives in the USA.

That's the mum of the cousin I'm looking after.

My mum wasn't very close to her siblings when I was growing up. Also a lot of people I was close to have travelled since then.

I'd honestly be homeless should I return to my country.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

subtlegirl wrote:
Amber wrote:Just ignore Wanderer he can't help himself. Which Country are you native?
Thank you Amber I'm native to Dominica
Thanks Amber your letter gave me hope.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Then you'd stand a good chance.

es2013
United Kingdom

Post by es2013 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm

i worked illegally bust still got my flr(fp). Do you have proof you are the carer of your cousin? how old are they? In my opinion you may apply basing the fact on being sole carer for your british cousin. You might stand a better chance, than going the route of overstayed partner or private life
Application sent: 10.04.14
Received by HO : 11.04.14
Acknow dated : 14.04.14 received 19.04.14
Biometric letter: 15.04.14 and letter of ECHR received on 17.04.14
Biometrics done: 19.04.14
More docs requested: 04.06.14 Posted 14.06.14
BRP: 19.06.14

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

es2013 wrote:i worked illegally bust still got my flr(fp). Do you have proof you are the carer of your cousin? how old are they? In my opinion you may apply basing the fact on being sole carer for your british cousin. You might stand a better chance, than going the route of overstayed partner or private life
Hi es2013,

I can prove that I've been her guardian and career. Her main career though.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:37 pm

She's 13. She's been here since the age of 7. She'll be 14 in 3 months.

Can I also ask is it possible to apply for EEA family permit if she's British?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am

While I agree with Ambers view in that the approach to take is "I can’t go back because I have no ties" - I do not share the view that you have a good chance unless that means less than 50%.

Am I correct in thinking that your lawyer has not explained the JR process in any great detail? More of a case this is your only route so you have to take kind of option? And what about the costs??

I am not saying give up by any means but be fully aware of the process and the limits as to what can be achieved.

Your posts are full of emotion, which I understand, however the legal process is not emotionally slanted and throwing everything at the legal process is not a solution that works readily.

A few other questions that may point to a better understanding of your case:

What nationality is your partner and what is he doing about regularising his stay in the UK? Is he dependent on your application? How long has he been an overstayer?

Do you have any legal rights in regards the care of your cousin? Who pays for your cousins accommodation food etc.?

Please also consider if you are stating that you are the primary care provider for your cousin that begs the question who should be and why are they not doing so? If you contend that point and considering the probable lack of legal status you have in that regard it might prompt the child protection alarm bell.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

Frontier Mole wrote: Please also consider if you are stating that you are the primary care provider for your cousin that begs the question who should be and why are they not doing so? If you contend that point and considering the probable lack of legal status you have in that regard it might prompt the child protection alarm bell.
That's what I was trying to get to in my usual sledgehammer manner.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:While I agree with Ambers view in that the approach to take is "I can’t go back because I have no ties" - I do not share the view that you have a good chance unless that means less than 50%.

Am I correct in thinking that your lawyer has not explained the JR process in any great detail? More of a case this is your only route so you have to take kind of option? And what about the costs??

I am not saying give up by any means but be fully aware of the process and the limits as to what can be achieved.

Your posts are full of emotion, which I understand, however the legal process is not emotionally slanted and throwing everything at the legal process is not a solution that works readily.

A few other questions that may point to a better understanding of your case:

What nationality is your partner and what is he doing about regularising his stay in the UK? Is he dependent on your application? How long has he been an overstayer?

Do you have any legal rights in regards the care of your cousin? Who pays for your cousins accommodation food etc.?

Please also consider if you are stating that you are the primary care provider for your cousin that begs the question who should be and why are they not doing so? If you contend that point and considering the probable lack of legal status you have in that regard it might prompt the child protection alarm bell.
Hi Frontier your post made me look for a second opinion with solicitors currently advising me.

They both informed me that the fact that I have no social or cultural ties to my home country is the basis I could win my JR and sighting previous case studies which my solicitors did in my original application as well as PAP letter.

quote: The Applicant therefore seeks reliance on Huang & Kashmir v SSHD [2007], Beoku-Betts v Secretary of State for Home Department (2008) UKHL 39 and EB (Kosovo v SSHD (2008) UKHL 41.

also the fact I entered the country as a minor, doesn't this not help my case in anyway?

social service should not be alarmed by me being the primary career of my cousin. I'm her legal guardian, on what grounds would they be alerted?

Your insight into this would be gratefully appreciated.

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Frontier Mole wrote: Please also consider if you are stating that you are the primary care provider for your cousin that begs the question who should be and why are they not doing so? If you contend that point and considering the probable lack of legal status you have in that regard it might prompt the child protection alarm bell.
That's what I was trying to get to in my usual sledgehammer manner.
They'd severe a tie with her family and put her into social carer? Why? She's my first cousin I'm not a stranger. I really do not understand what you mean.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Can you answer those points please?

It will aid the overall case understanding.

Thanks

subtlegirl

Post by subtlegirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:What nationality is your partner and what is he doing about regularising his stay in the UK? Is he dependent on your application? How long has he been an overstayer?

Can you answer those points please?

It will aid the overall case understanding.

Thanks
He's not part of my application. He's no longer in the picture as well. He's been an overstayer for about 7 years I believe. He would have been dependant on my application