ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born just before parents' ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

IM314
Newly Registered

Child born just before parents' ILR application

Post by IM314 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 pm

My wife and I are about to apply for ILR (we are South African citizens who will have been in the UK for 5 years on Tier 2 in October). However, our daughter was born in the UK in March last year, and we have not left the UK with her since. She currently only has a South African passport and UK and South African birth certificates.

My question is this: Can I apply for her to go directly from "No immigration status" to ILR, at the same time as me and my wife's application, or even just after we get our ILR? Or do I have to apply for her as Tier 2 dependent, then wait 2 years and extend, then wait 3 years and get ILR?

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Child born just before parents' ILR application

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:27 pm

You can either register your child as British once your ILR has been approved or you can apply for ILR directly. The child does not have to wait for a period.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Register your UK-born child as a British citizen immediately after a parent is granted ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

IM314
Newly Registered

Post by IM314 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Thank you, this is really welcome news for me.