ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering Child born in UK having ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

s_nagul
Newly Registered

Registering Child born in UK having ILR

Post by s_nagul » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi,
My son was born in UK before I had ILR and later in the year Me, My wife and son, all three got our ILR. He is holding a Indian passport with ILR status.
Do I need to register him as British citizen before applying for his British passport?

Thanks,

Nagul Shaik

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Re: Registering Child born in UK having ILR

Post by lynxukauq » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Yes via MN1

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:26 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

s_nagul
Newly Registered

Post by s_nagul » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
My other son is born last month and currently doesn't have any nationality, do I need to register him as well or for him, it's straight to passport ?

Thanks in advance.

Shaik Nagul

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:28 pm

s_nagul wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
My other son is born last month and currently doesn't have any nationality, do I need to register him as well or for him, it's straight to passport ?

Thanks in advance.

Shaik Nagul
Your son does have a nationality. It just depends on which nationality you wish to claim for the child. Assuming the child was born in the UK, then the child is automatically British. So then yes you can just apply for their passport. If you want to claim Indian citizenship, you will have to apply for registration at the Indian consulate and then apply for an Indian passport. Unfortunately, these are exclusive actions with regards to the Indian citizenship. The child will always be British in the eyes of the UK. But if you make any attempt to claim that citizenship for them (or later in their life, they otherwise exercise that citizenship themselves), they will immediately lose any claim to Indian citizenship.

s_nagul
Newly Registered

Post by s_nagul » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance but I am bit confused. As my older one was born in UK as well. But from the comments of other members, i need to register him as british before applying for his passport.
Is it because my older one has Indian passsport while my younger one doesn't have any?

Thanks,

Shaik Nagul

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:26 pm

The difference is due to parent's immigration status at the time of child's birth.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.