ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name and application for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jefstudent

Change of name and application for British Citizenship

Post by jefstudent » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:37 am

Dear All,

I really hope you can help me this please.

I got my ILR under marriage to British CItizen. I am about to apply for BC but I want to just take off my last name and keep my middle name as my Last name.

The information I got makes me think that it will be really difficult and the consequences will even difficult to manage.

I have been told that I need to change the name of my current passport from my county of Birth and then apply for change of name on my ILR visa card and then apply for Naturalisation application.

Now, I have all my qualification documents in my current name and so as my driving license and other paper work. I have taken the Life in UK test last year which is in my current name as well.

Is there any quick and easy way to be out of this. I want to take off my last name and make my middle name as Last name for sure.

And advice please.

Thanks

I will be really

Maxwell

Re: Change of name and application for British Citizenship

Post by Maxwell » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:01 am

Very good question.

I also thought about surname change. And I also came to conclusion it is not worth it, at least right now.

I mean, you can change your name any time after you get passport.

For me, it is priority to get UK citizenship as fast and easy as possible. Name change can wait.

But it would be very interesting to hear from someone, unlike me, with real experience. This is just my opinion based on my analysis which I did for myself several months ago.

So anyone with knowledge, please reply, I don't want to give impression I gave answer here. Just said my opinion what I decided. :shock:

ejy1229
Newly Registered

Re: Change of name and application for British Citizenship

Post by ejy1229 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi
I've heard that although you get your citizenship with your old name, you can change your name easily after you get your citizenship and before applying your UK passport by doing Deed Poll. With deed poll you can change your name for other documents.
I think i will do when i get my citizenship.
But you have to find out more from professional person.
I am not sure 100%