ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry in UK with PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stoli

Entry in UK with PR

Post by Stoli » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi guys

Just to share some experience on entering the UK even with all the right residency documentation (as of recently)..

On 19 July I came back from having visited some family in Russia (yes, I am Russian..)

I hold Permanent Residency, flew into Heathrow Terminal 4. The officer questioned me for a good few minutes on who were my EEA national (ie mother/husband/neighbour..), when we got married, why i had come to their EU country 12 years ago to begin with etc etc :shock: (i thought better of it than tell her I thought it were not much of her business :oops: )

Question is - WHY are they questioning my immigration status when I have been living in UK for almost 6 years AND their own government have issued me with a PR??
Also, now that I am getting a divorce with my ex, what am I supposed to say?.
Can't wait to get a British passport next year (hopefully). I have been contemplating whether to actually go ahead and get it or not, but this last incident was the last drop.. :cry:

PS> officers in Russia didn't know what a PR were, and thought this were some sort of a scam - having only seen an ILR :) I had a great trip overall :mrgreen:

uk2005

Re: Entry in UK with PR

Post by uk2005 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 pm

may be Cameron doesnt like putin...lol
end of day your PR holder by law they cnt do nathing part from give some pain on back :lol:
BC 7/5/2015(NCS)
HO received 8/5/2015
Biometric done 1/6/2015
Appoval 31/10/2015
Ceremony 03/11/2015
Never give up hope!

Stoli

Post by Stoli » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Uhh don't laugh, but I shall need to fly soon again :D

Can I go through EU lines on passport control, given that I have PR? (but another given would be that I shall be flying solo, without the EU partner)

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 am

Stoli wrote:Uhh don't laugh, but I shall need to fly soon again :D

Can I go through EU lines on passport control, given that I have PR? (but another given would be that I shall be flying solo, without the EU partner)
If you are not a citizen of an EEA or EEC country, you cannot use EU lines. Rest of the world or any passport lines only.

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm

physicskate wrote:

If you are not a citizen of an EEA or EEC country, you cannot use EU lines. Rest of the world or any passport lines only.
That's not true. I've always been instructed to use the EU lines, since my Residence Card (now PR) is derived of EU law. I think it's been more than 5 years since I've last used the general line.

Actually, I'd argue that it is better to take the EU line, since the immigration officers on these desks are generally a bit more savvy regarding EU rights and the documentation derived from them (residence card, permanent residence card, family permit). It would possibly avoid the bulk of the questioning. The only time I have faced this kind of questioning was when using Any Passport lines.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Hubba wrote:
physicskate wrote:

That's not true. I've always been instructed to use the EU lines, since my Residence Card (now PR) is derived of EU law. I think it's been more than 5 years since I've last used the general line.

Actually, I'd argue that it is better to take the EU line, since the immigration officers on these desks are generally a bit more savvy regarding EU rights and the documentation derived from them (residence card, permanent residence card, family permit). It would possibly avoid the bulk of the questioning. The only time I have faced this kind of questioning was when using Any Passport lines.

As completely ridiculous as this sounds to me, I stand corrected! Sorry!

Stoli

Post by Stoli » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I would assume why not use the EU gate with a PR - the whole point of "full" passport control is to make sure the people entering are legit. We', on the other hand, have already been checked and re-checked by HO. :?:

Hubba

Post by Hubba » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Stoli wrote:I would assume why not use the EU gate with a PR - the whole point of "full" passport control is to make sure the people entering are legit. We', on the other hand, have already been checked and re-checked by HO. :?:
There may be one or another Immigration Officer that may tell you are on the wrong queue, and send you to the Any Passport queue, but I've never seen such case. The worst thing that can happen is you losing some minutes going back to the other queue.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Hubba wrote:
Stoli wrote:I would assume why not use the EU gate with a PR - the whole point of "full" passport control is to make sure the people entering are legit. We', on the other hand, have already been checked and re-checked by HO. :?:
There may be one or another Immigration Officer that may tell you are on the wrong queue, and send you to the Any Passport queue, but I've never seen such case. The worst thing that can happen is you losing some minutes going back to the other queue.
People who have been going through UK immigration (UKVI, formerly UKBA), not EU immigration, are NOT allowed to use the EU queue. Hence, my assumption.

Stoli

Post by Stoli » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Hm I seem to have come up with an interesting question out of thin air. Wonder if there is a regulation about this anywhere.. :)

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Stoli wrote:Hm I seem to have come up with an interesting question out of thin air. Wonder if there is a regulation about this anywhere.. :)
I've never found one for the UK. It is explicitly stated in the Schengen Border Code, but of course that doesn't apply to the UK. Nonetheless, I've used my EEA RC (admittedly, not a PR card) to re-enter via the EEA/EU queue for two years now without the slighest problem, whether alone or with my spouse.