ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am British, I want to get my daughter to the UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PapiG
Newly Registered

I am British, I want to get my daughter to the UK?

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I am British born man, so was my father, his father, his etc etc etc.
I have a child in Dominican republic to a Dominican woman, we have been together for 6 years, our daughter is 5 this August.
We have decided that as our daughter is turning schooling age it is in her best interests, and ours to bring her to the UK, education is very poor in DR and poverty very high and so life in the UK is generally better for her. The mother has no intention of coming to the UK, she will continue to live and work in DR and me and my daughter will visit on school holidays etc.
I am the registered father, registered on the Dominican Birth certificate. The mother is very willing to allow us to leave the country.
I would have thought that as I am British that this process would be simple, she gets British citizenship through decent, but all this appears not so simple after all. I am so confused about what I need to do first, passport or register citizenship. Whichever I do first, what documents do I need, nothing is clear on the UK passport office website and they themselves are pretty unhelpful when I ask basic direct questions.

Can anyone please advise me, I am hoping to get her started in this coming school year and time is very tight.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: I am British, I want to get my daughter to the UK?

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Apply for her British Passport should be fine.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 pm

And so I do not need her to be registered as a british citizen first. Please be very clear for me as I am going around in circles. Also, under these circumstances what documents do you understand I need to produce with the application?

Thankyou kindly, please be thorough in your response so I can have some sense of reassurance, all I read from the website is contradictive.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:19 pm

The child is British as per section 2(1)(a) BNA 1981. A passport application would require:

The child's birth certificate, the child's current passport and your birth certificate.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Wow, is it really that easy, it has taken me weeks of messing about with the embassy in the DR and the passport office to tell me what you have in an hour.

And so, the situation now stands.
I am in the UK, I had to come back as I was getting nowhere there. She doesn't have a Dominican Passport as of yet but I can get her mother to get one and send it to me. I have her birth certificate from DR and translated into English and legalized at the city court in Santo Domingo. I have my passport and Birth certificate, and that is it...........................really??????????????

Sorry, I am just stunned that it is as simple as I had hoped and the Passport office could not simply give me the direct info you have.

Thanks a million, I might hopefully sleep a little tonight, something I haven't done for weeks!

Any other info is always so greatly appreciated.
XX

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:40 pm

If she has not got a passport then just her birth certificate and your birth certificate, I assume you were born in the UK and are British otherwise than by descent, e.g. Born before 1983, or born to British parents etc...

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 pm

My entire family are born and bred Brits (I was born in Leeds, my parents Newcastle, and their parents), I am 41 and so born in 1973.

I have her and my Birth certificates here with me.

Can I ask when you last heard of experienced someone getting the childs passport under these circumstances, as such?

Thanks!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Happens often, it's common.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Why could I not find this info easily on the UK passport website? Am I stupid or is the site terribly unhelpful?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:56 pm

The UKVI/HMP service are terrible websites, especially since the .gov.uk change over. The poor training and lack of knowledge by Home Office staff leads to inaccurate and misleading advice which we see all the time.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Any idea on waiting times for this process?

Sorry to hit you with all these Q's but I am making the most of your knowledge while I can.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:14 pm

We'll there is a Passport processing backlog, so I'd imagine longer than usual. You can apply online.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:23 pm

And usual is???????????

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 pm

3 weeks but there is a fast track service also.

PapiG
Newly Registered

Post by PapiG » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am

Amazing, the website said 10-12 weeks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:13 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 am

The 10-12 weeks might be because of the backlog, I'd opt for the fast track service if it's available.

ahmetkara217
Newly Registered

Post by ahmetkara217 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi, my I add one more question, if PapiG does not mind.

I am in the similar situation but my child is in Turkey. I am in UK at the moment. So can I apply for the british passport for my child in England or do I have to apply from the country where the child is.

Thanks in advanced for any help.....

SJ-sat-cit
Newly Registered

Re: I am British, I want to get my daughters a passport

Post by SJ-sat-cit » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

Like ahmetkara217 I also have a spinning head trying to work out all the correct information.
I am also trying to get my daughters a British passport.

I am a British man with a long British family history with ancestors having fought in the 2 world wars.
My wife and daughters are Peruvian and are living in Peru while I have come back to the UK.
Yes we are separated by the new spouse visa rules. My daughters are 2 and 4 yrs old
and I haven't seen them all for over a year and I am still trying to secure a job which pays over
£24,800

With regards to the passport applications forms:
Do I put my address in the application question 2?
Do I need my wife to send their Peruvian passports over from Peru (I am not sure if my wife has got them as yet) and if so, is it really necessary to do that. They are babies!
My wife's surname in Peru is Vasquez Lizares De Cable which means 'Of Cable' and sometimes Cable Vasquez whereas in the UK surely she would be Mrs Cable. Any ideas which to use?
Do I need to send my Birth certificate or is my lapsed passport sufficient?
Do I need to get my daughters birth certificates translated (or can I do it as I am fluent) and do they need apostille stamps like my certificate needed in order to get married in Peru?

Anything else important would be great dudes.
I am moving back to Spain where I used to live and where my wife can join me and this will save us future fuss I hope.
Thanks in advance...... :oops: