ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Degree taught in English

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mahi
Newly Registered

Degree taught in English

Post by mahi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:43 am

I am on Tier 2(General), on a shortage list occupation, completed my 5 yrs of stay so will be applying for ILR soon.
At the time of 1st application and also at extension I have submitted Overseas degree that was taught in English, this degree was listed on Points based calculator. My certificate was all written in English including the subjects, All fine so far but this seems to be not very clear at Set(o) guidance. Is it mandatory to have NARIC certification , also is it compulsory to have a letter from the university stating that it was taught in English which would be quite a difficult task for me to get. Plus using Points based calculator on Tier 2 I could not find any points for the degree, I could only get 10 points for English Language.

The following was the guidance listed,

"has an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), and
 provides appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English.
They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.
You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
 A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language."

Please advise.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Degree taught in English

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Try any PBS on the PBS calculator. 20 or more points for qualification and 10 for English Skills.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mahi
Newly Registered

Post by mahi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Yes, I now tried on other PBS at the calculator, I am having enough points on degree and English language.

But is it mandatory to have NARIC certification , also is it compulsory to have a letter from the university stating that it was taught in English which would be quite a difficult task for me to get.

If it's complicated I might look at going for B1 Speaking & Listening Test instead.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 pm

No a print out from the PBS calculator will suffice B1 in addition to LIUK.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

mahi
Newly Registered

Post by mahi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Amber , many thanks.

ILR approved.

cheers

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Congratulations!

shekhag
Newly Registered

Post by shekhag » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Dear Mahi/Immigration Board,

I am on Tier 2 (General) visa, and completed my 5 years of stay in UK. I am going for my ILR application on 23rd August'14.

I am having doubt regarding English language requirement for main applicant.

As per the guidelines,

"You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language."

I am planning to submit print out from the PBS. My concern is - PBS calculator as Tier 2 general is just giving me 10 point for english language. I am not getting any point for qualification. However, on PBS calculator as Tier 1 (general), I am getting 30 point for my degree and 10 point for my english language.

I guess, you also had similar case, therefore, could you please suggest, -

1. If I can submit PBS calculator print out with points calculated as Tier 1 general, after removing its first page, which states that I have used the calculator as Tier 1 (general) (i.e. - starting from point break down till the end of the summary page)?

or

2. If I can submit PBS calculator print out with points calculated as Tier 1 general, as it is i.e. - without removing its first page, which states that I have used the calculator as Tier 1 (general)?

OR

3. I should submit PBS calculator print out with points calculated as Tier 2 general, with only 10 points for English language?

After 2 day, I am going to apply for my ILR, therefore, I would be really grateful if you could guide us on my request.

Many thanks for your time,

Shekhar