ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The Best Time to Arrive to the UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mideast Banker

The Best Time to Arrive to the UK

Post by Mideast Banker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:03 pm

What is the best time to arrive to the UK without a prior Job Offer. Is is the beginning of Summer or end? :?

Your feedback is appreciated.

apeterso925

Re: The Best Time to Arrive to the UK

Post by apeterso925 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Mideast Banker wrote:What is the best time to arrive to the UK without a prior Job Offer. Is is the beginning of Summer or end? :?

Your feedback is appreciated.
I'm sure someone with more experience will weigh in, but from my own research and knowledge of UK culture, August is the worst month - everyone is on vacation and most companies aren't too eager to fill positions simply because it's too hard to organize interviews.

Also, I've heard January is a bad month. I'm thinking that September/October is a good time...people are well settled in, back from summer holidays by then.

But on that note, I will be arriving in London on August 10th, eager for a job - so I'm obviously not too worried myself :D

Amy

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:34 pm

I think its march and april, new budgets approved so they can hire.

HSMPreqJun07
Newly Registered

Post by HSMPreqJun07 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 am

March is def. the best month. In addition to the budget, people start moving after getting their bonuses which means more open positions. But if you have to chose between beginning and end Summer, end would be better

simar

Post by simar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

come-on, come any time, Their is always hiring. But I do agree, July/august are the months when most of the project managers take holidays. SO hiring get bit delay. But a good experience person can be hired any time of the year

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:32 pm

I would say avoid Nov -March(winter)..It becomes difficult to adjust in new country/new ppl during winter ..Days are very short and cold, so u wont have enough time to look for house/job etc...So kinda simple/routine jobs become difficult especially u r new ..

Also have seen lot of people feeling depressed/homesick when they come in winter and cannot see sun for months..

I would strongly suggest summer to come in UK (at least for the first time you land )

Ashish

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 pm

That was the advice given to me by a good British friend - that to arrive any later than September would mean short, dark days and fewer social activities. Having visited the UK in October, January and February, I've seen that myself..and job prospects aside, it was really that advice that solidified my August arrival target. Originally, it was either early August or mid September...for various reasons.

My reasoning was that while the job market might be a little soft when I first arrive, it will still be warm, the days will still be long(er) and the sun will shine as much is it ever does in the UK :) Net net, that I will downplay any homesickness that might hit me as much as is probably possible by arriving during the summer vs. fall.

And then the clincher was working backwards from my (dreaded) 30th birthday, which will be at the end of September. I'm figuring that after 6 weeks of being there, I'll have at least met enough people that the celebration of the dreaded birthday won't be some pathetic solitary event with a candle in a cupcake! ;) Whereas if I'd followed plan B, I'd be arriving days before my birthday...too depressing.

So while obviously we're all here for job-related reasons, I think it's important to factor in the significant culture shock and homesickness issues we all will/did face.

Amy
ashishashah wrote:I would say avoid Nov -March(winter)..It becomes difficult to adjust in new country/new ppl during winter ..Days are very short and cold, so u wont have enough time to look for house/job etc...So kinda simple/routine jobs become difficult especially u r new ..

Also have seen lot of people feeling depressed/homesick when they come in winter and cannot see sun for months..

I would strongly suggest summer to come in UK (at least for the first time you land )

Ashish

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:25 pm

based on my personal opine.

april,june,july -- job market is too good.
aug,dec,jan -- tough time to get calls.
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---