ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel on old passport with ILR, after ceremony done

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mat101
Newly Registered

Travel on old passport with ILR, after ceremony done

Post by mat101 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 am

Hi fellows,

Recently, I got my ceremony done and received my natulatization certificate.

Now, I have urgent work requirements and need to apply for US visa ASAP.

Can I apply for US visa on my old passport along with ILR biometric card (its Pakistani passport)? If yes, would there be any legal complications, etc. If I can apply for US visa on old passport, then would there be any problems related to travel and entry clearance..?

PS: Pakistan does allow to keep dual nationalities, atleast for UK.

Please help/guide me in this regards. Any quick reply would be much much appretitated?

Many thanks
M@t

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel on old passport with ILR, after ceremony done

Post by Amber » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 am

Yes, it should be ok. Providing you're eligible for the visa.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

bilalazeem
Newly Registered

Post by bilalazeem » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi, as confirmed by Amber you can apply for the US visa and travel on your old Pakistani Passport but there maybe implications in future when you will try to apply for US VISA on your British Passport using ESTA.

Reason for that is that 99% of US Visa applications on Pakistani passport go into ‘administrative processing’ (even when the Visa officer approves the Visa). Applicant is issued with 221(g) US Visa refusal letter. (This is later overturned once administrative processing is complete)

But this would mean in future when you would want to travel to US on British Passport you will most likely not be eligible for using ESTA and will have to apply for the Visa in person again.

If you have travelled to USA in the past on Pakistani passport it’s indifferent whether you apply for US VISA now or wait for British Passport because you will most likely have to apply for visa in person anyway.

But if you haven’t travelled to USA in the past I would suggest you wait till you get your British Passport.
Administrative processing can take 2 weeks to 10 weeks anyway so there is no guarantee you will be able to get your US visa in time. So I would suggest you wait and apply using ESTA once you have got your British Passport.

Just sharing my views..

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

bilalazeem wrote: Reason for that is that 99% of US Visa applications on Pakistani passport go into ‘administrative processing’ (even when the Visa officer approves the Visa). Applicant is issued with 221(g) US Visa refusal letter. (This is later overturned once administrative processing is complete)
Source of the above information?
99% of applications from UK? or 99% globally?