ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Blue Card for Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

EU Blue Card for Germany

Post by offstumpfail » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 am

Hi all,

Have skimmed this thread and the search function but haven't found a specific answer to this, and while it probably resembles lots of other situations there are a few quite specific bits.

Anyway I am hopeful that I will soon be offered a job in Berlin. It and myself satisfy all blue card requirements.

My nationality is Australian, and while I no longer have work authorisation for the UK, for any realistic purpose I could claim that I am still resident there (for the purpose of attending the German embassy there, as info says you need to go in your country of citizenship or residence) as I have bank accounts, tax, address etc.

Anyway what I am trying to find out (online info is a bit contradictory, probably because the blue card is new) is whether I am supposed to apply for any permit before entering Germany. Blue card info seems to suggest that it's applied for once in-country. However, if I were to enter Germany on the tourist visa, then immediately submit blue card application, am I permitted to work while I am waiting for it to be processed (which I hear could be 6-8 weeks)? If not is there any way around this, can I apply for a work permit or blue card while out of the country, e.g. in London, so that I am able to start work immediately upon arriving in Germany. Assume I have a concrete job offer satisfying all requirements.

Thanks.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: EU Blue Card for Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 pm

offstumpfail wrote:Hi all,

Have skimmed this thread and the search function but haven't found a specific answer to this, and while it probably resembles lots of other situations there are a few quite specific bits.

Anyway I am hopeful that I will soon be offered a job in Berlin. It and myself satisfy all blue card requirements.

My nationality is Australian, and while I no longer have work authorisation for the UK, for any realistic purpose I could claim that I am still resident there (for the purpose of attending the German embassy there, as info says you need to go in your country of citizenship or residence) as I have bank accounts, tax, address etc.

Anyway what I am trying to find out (online info is a bit contradictory, probably because the blue card is new) is whether I am supposed to apply for any permit before entering Germany. Blue card info seems to suggest that it's applied for once in-country. However, if I were to enter Germany on the tourist visa, then immediately submit blue card application, am I permitted to work while I am waiting for it to be processed (which I hear could be 6-8 weeks)? If not is there any way around this, can I apply for a work permit or blue card while out of the country, e.g. in London, so that I am able to start work immediately upon arriving in Germany. Assume I have a concrete job offer satisfying all requirements.

Thanks.
Australians can apply for a work permit (Blue Card or otherwise) in country but cannot work until said work permit is issued.

You may apply beforehand for a work visa which would be converted into a residence permit after you arrive, this is quicker because all checks have already been done prior to arrival. You can only apply from the UK if you have a valid UK residence permit - claiming to be resident is not quite enough.

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Post by offstumpfail » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:38 am

Ok, thanks. That does seem to tally up with what I received from the embassy in England. Shame their definition of "resident" is more stringent than HMRC's :roll:

I get the impression that my only options here are to apply for this in Germany or go back to Australia (I am currently in Colombia). Unless I can get the embassy in Bogota to treat me as a resident :roll: I've asked them.

Does anyone have any recent idea of processing times for in-country blue card applications? On the London embassy's site it says a 2-3 week processing time, and their email to me said 'processing times are the same' but if anyone has first-hand experience it would be appreciated.

I don't want to put off the hiring manager with the fear of a 12 week processing time...

Also... given it's a card (I assume it's *not* a page in your passport) do they hold onto your passport while the application is in progress?

Thanks again.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:27 pm

offstumpfail wrote:Ok, thanks. That does seem to tally up with what I received from the embassy in England. Shame their definition of "resident" is more stringent than HMRC's :roll:

I get the impression that my only options here are to apply for this in Germany or go back to Australia (I am currently in Colombia). Unless I can get the embassy in Bogota to treat me as a resident :roll: I've asked them.

Does anyone have any recent idea of processing times for in-country blue card applications? On the London embassy's site it says a 2-3 week processing time, and their email to me said 'processing times are the same' but if anyone has first-hand experience it would be appreciated.

I don't want to put off the hiring manager with the fear of a 12 week processing time...

Also... given it's a card (I assume it's *not* a page in your passport) do they hold onto your passport while the application is in progress?

Thanks again.
Well, where in the process are you? How much has your prospective employer already done?

Do they need to perform a resident labour market test? That takes six weeks and comes before the application - has this been done or is the position exempt?

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Post by offstumpfail » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:48 am

It shouldn't require a market test. The blue card doesn't require this unless I'm mistaken. It is also a shortage occupation.

buddyBear
Newly Registered

Post by buddyBear » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:54 am

Hello everyone,
Have similar question so didn't create a new topic.
I am a non-EU citizen and going to apply for a Blue Card in Germany. I am currently employed in Poland (which is an EU member) and own work and residence permit there.
It's not quite clear to me, is it possible to apply for a Blue Card in advance without applying for a work visa in Germany? And if yes, can it be done via German embassy in Poland?
Will appreciate any info.

grberlin15
Newly Registered

Post by grberlin15 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 am

Hey guys,
This information about the Blue Card are not clear. I would suggest trying to find a job here first, what can be the easiest way to get your papers. I don't know what is your field, but take a look at the job opportunities in the company I work for, in Berlin: https://blacklane.com/en/career
I hope it helps! Best of luck! :wink: