ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Appeal Oral Hearing in September (No Lawyer)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

v348
Newly Registered

ILR Appeal Oral Hearing in September (No Lawyer)

Post by v348 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Dear Sir or Madam,

My initial application for ILR was rejected in July 2013 (I will provide more details in other post), after applying for an appeal, I am going to have oral hearing in Croydon in early September 2014.

I am very tight on budget with no lawyer to help on the case, I will go alone and speak for myself in court, so I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate your kind advice:

What would it be like in court? How long does the hearing take and when will I receive results?
It is said in news (I have read a few weeks ago), if the personal loses his case, he will be arrested immediately in court and waits to be sent back to his country, is this true? And in this case will bank accounts be frozen?

Could you kindly give me some advice regarding preparation and how to behave in court?

Thank you very much indeed for your help!

Malik44

Re: ILR Appeal Oral Hearing in September (No Lawyer)

Post by Malik44 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 pm

What would it be like in court?

You should arrive at least 20-30 minutes before your hearing time. When you get to the centre for your appeal there will be a number of cases listed for hearing at the same time. You may have to wait some time before your case is called on, but the clerk of the court will be able to give you an idea as to how long you will have to wait.
The hearing is usually held in a room with desks and chairs. The judge(s) sits at the front of the room at a desk or table and the other people sit at tables and chairs in front of him. The Home Office representative (the respondent) will usually sit on one side of the room, and the person appealing (the applicant) and his or her legal representative (if they have one) will sit on the other side

How long does the hearing take and when will I receive results?
its depends on the case sometimes Home Office representative did not attend the hearing and case is decided in between 15 to 30 min and when Home Office Representative attend the hearing then the time may very.

It is said in news (I have read a few weeks ago), if the personal loses his case, he will be arrested immediately in court and waits to be sent back to his country, is this true? And in this case will bank accounts be frozen?

Lols :) I did not heard that don't be scared someone give you wrong info on this.

Sometimes judge tell you the result of your appeal on the spot but most judge(s) does not decide whether or not your appeal has been allowed (successful) or dismissed (unsuccessful) at the hearing. You will be informed as to the outcome of your case in writing. If there has been an oral hearing, this will be within two weeks of the hearing date

v348
Newly Registered

Post by v348 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Thank you very much, if I lose my case and am informed by post, usually what options do I have at that time and what could I do (in advance)?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Apply for permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal from the FTT and if rejected , apply to the Upper Tribunal directly for permission to appeal to them.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Your chances of losing the appeal are much higher if you represent yourself.Good luck with your appeal please update us on how it goes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:57 pm

peppekalle wrote:Your chances of losing the appeal are much higher if you represent yourself.Good luck with your appeal please update us on how it goes.
Is there any figures to back that up.

I find some appellant much better than counsel, especially when they will have time on their case alone, compare to counsel who many have many cases.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:23 pm

peppekalle wrote:Your chances of losing the appeal are much higher if you represent yourself.Good luck with your appeal please update us on how it goes.
Nonsense. Depends on the complexity of the case.

If your case is straight forward and you have done your research and prepared well for the case, I see no reason why someone needs to hire a solicitors to pay thousands of pounds in fees when one stands a good chance in winning by self representation just as much.

I speak from experience having a won a case by representing myself.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 am

I can't find the figures to back up my case once i do i will post it.However the figures for those who got bail through self representation and through a lawyer are available on bids website.

Could the same figures be translated to immigration cases?