ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sy13
Newly Registered

Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?

Post by sy13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi,

Been trying to read around this as much as possible but a bit confused as to the best possible option so any help gratefully received.

I'm a British citizen by birth and my partner is a US citizen. We plan to get married but have not yet done so. My partner currently lives in another EU country on a student visa but is making a brief visit here.

In an ideal world, we'd be looking to give notice of the marriage during this visit, then get married in the UK during the partner's Christmas break from studies (we would like to marry as soon as possible). My partner would then remain in the EU country until completing her studies in the summer before coming to live here.

Is this a practical sequence of events and when would it be best to apply for which visa, do people think?

Edit: I should add that I earn more than the income requirement.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Fiancee/Spouse visa? When and from where best to apply?

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:32 pm

If she intends to return to the EU country after the wedding, she should apply for a Marriage Visit Visa.
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

joshboy
Newly Registered

Post by joshboy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:40 pm

Casa wrote:If she intends to return to the EU country after the wedding, she should apply for a Marriage Visit Visa.
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa
What happens after she gets the marriage visa, they get married and she goes back to the EU country. What happens when she wants to return to the UK then?

Financial restrictions come into play, and wouldn't she have to return to the States and apply for a spouse visa from there?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 pm

She would then have to apply for a spouse visa. Both applications by the way have to be made from her country of residence. Yes, financial conditions need to be met for the spouse visa but this can be applied for from where she's living in the EU.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sy13
Newly Registered

Post by sy13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. To complicate matters, it's possible that she may look to get onto a PhD programme here in the summer if that makes any difference.
It will be fine to apply for all visas from the EU country?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 pm

(Casa, not CR001)

sy13
Newly Registered

Post by sy13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks once again.

It seems as if it may be problematic giving notice during this visit as it isn't long enough (5 days only), does anyone know how strict they are on this? It's unlikely that there'll be a clear period of 22 days before the summer.