ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Residence Card continuous residence in Gibraltar

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

canuckUK
Newly Registered

UK Residence Card continuous residence in Gibraltar

Post by canuckUK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,

I am Canadian, unmarried partner of EEA National and I have a 5-year UK Residence Card which allows me to stay in the UK as long as my partner is also with me in the UK. I now have an offer to go work in Gibraltar for an initial period of 6 months (my partner would be joining me and try to find work as well).

I understand that absences of 6 months or more affect continuous residence (and will delay getting a Permanent Residence Card), but does it invalidate my current Residence Card.? Or does living in Gibraltar (British Overseas Territories) is the same as living in the UK.?

Or, if my partner joins me in Gibraltar, would that make my RC invalid has she would not be exercising treaty rights in the UK anymore (unless Gibraltar counts as exercising treaty rights in the UK?).?

Basically, if me and my EEA partner move to work to Gibraltar, would it affect my Residence Card status, or future Permanent Residence Card application.?

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: UK Residence Card continuous residence in Gibraltar

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Yes it would. Gibraltar is no the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Yes it would. Gibraltar is no the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

canuckUK
Newly Registered

Post by canuckUK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Would it affect continuous residence.?

Or would it invalidate my RC.? (if there is such a thing as invalid RC...)