ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying a visitor

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

helpmepls
Newly Registered

Marrying a visitor

Post by helpmepls » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 pm

I have been approached by a potential marriage partner. She is a visitor to the UK. The exact type of visitor I am unsure.

Can I legally marry a visitor? If I marry her can she stay in the UK? Will she have to return to her country and then I apply to have her come to the UK?

As always a big thank you for your kind help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Marrying a visitor

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:44 pm

You don't seem to know much about her. You can marry in the UK but if the registrar suspects a sham marriage they will notify the Home Office who may intervene before the ceremony takes place. Even if you do marry she will be unable to apply for a spouse visa from within the UK and will have to return to her home country to submit an application from there. Apart from meeting the financial conditions, you will also have to prove in the application that the relationship is genuine.
By the way, in December 2013 you were posting about bringing your wife-to-be to the UK through the Surinder Singh route. What happened to her? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Marrying a visitor

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 pm

helpmepls wrote:I have been approached by a potential marriage partner. She is a visitor to the UK. The exact type of visitor I am unsure.

Can I legally marry a visitor? If I marry her can she stay in the UK? Will she have to return to her country and then I apply to have her come to the UK?

As always a big thank you for your kind help.
You mean a Marriage of Convenience?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....