ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation: absent out of UK in the year applying?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wel_home
Newly Registered

Naturalisation: absent out of UK in the year applying?

Post by wel_home » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi,

I got ILR under the 10 year rule in Oct. 06. I plan to apply for naturalisation in Sept. 07 using the Nationality Checking Service. I plan to use the postal address of the present home in UK. I have obtained Irish visa on my passport for working in Ireland

However, from August 07, I will be working in Ireland for 1 year. My family will stay behind in UK, and I will be travelling to UK at some weekends. How will this affect my naturalisation application?

I do not have long absence from UK. If I apply in mid September, the duration of my absence outside UK in the last year will be about 55 days.

Should I delay applying for naturalisation now? Or because the family have stayed back behind in UK, it would prove that I have all intention of coming and settling in the UK, and hence should not cause any problems.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Wel_home

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation: absent out of UK in the year applying?

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm

wel_home wrote:Hi,

I got ILR under the 10 year rule in Oct. 06. I plan to apply for naturalisation in Sept. 07 using the Nationality Checking Service. I plan to use the postal address of the present home in UK.

However, from August 07, I will be working in Ireland for 1 year. My family will stay behind in UK, and I will be travelling to UK at some weekends. How will this affect my naturalisation application?

I do not have long absence from UK. If I apply in mid September, the duration of my absence outside UK in the last year will be about 55 days.

Should I delay applying for naturalisation now? Or because the family have stayed back behind in UK, it would prove that I have all intention of coming and settling in the UK, and hence should not cause any problems.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Wel_home
Northern Ireland or Eire?

If NI no need to worry, if Eire, you do need a visa.......

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi,

It is Ireland I will be working in; I have already obtained an Irish Visa on my passport.

Welhome

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:00 pm

then it is better toapply now than later, there will be fewer absences but in any case you are commuting which makes the uk your base so the absences aren't so interesting to the home office in terms of your intention of making the uk your permanent home

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks SYH for the reply

I will be staying in Ireland, and will be coming down to Uk only at alternate weekends. Does that still makes UK the home base?

Welhome

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:56 pm

wel_home wrote:Thanks SYH for the reply

I will be staying in Ireland, and will be coming down to Uk only at alternate weekends. Does that still makes UK the home base?
No-one can give you a better answer than to refer you to Annex F of Chapter 18 of the Nationality Instructions.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

At the very least, living and working in the Republic of Ireland may cast doubt upon your future intentions. After all, your case officer may decide that you plan to move your family out of the UK once naturalised.

Is this job so important? Many people in your situation would decide to get naturalised first, then worry about living/working outside the UK.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:53 pm

wel_home wrote: I got ILR under the 10 year rule in Oct. 06. I plan to apply for naturalisation in Sept. 07 using the Nationality Checking Service.
And how are you planning to apply for naturalisation in September 2007 when you only received ILR in October 2006? Are we talking about applying on September 30th for an anticipated Home Office receipt of the application in the first week of October? The HO needs to receive your application at least a year after you've been granted ILR unless you are married to a UK citizen. Are you married to a UK citizen?

There's no 28-day apply-in-advance period for naturalisation like there is when one applies for ILR. A year is a year. And you need to have been in the UK on the same day precisely 5 years before receipt of your application, unless you're married to a UK citizen. In which case it's three.

Also if you're married to a UK citizen, there's no need for you to intend that you will remain in the UK after naturalisation. But are you?

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55 am

JAJ wrote:
wel_home wrote:Thanks SYH for the reply

No-one can give you a better answer than to refer you to Annex F of Chapter 18 of the Nationality Instructions.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

At the very least, living and working in the Republic of Ireland may cast doubt upon your future intentions. After all, your case officer may decide that you plan to move your family out of the UK once naturalised.

Is this job so important? Many people in your situation would decide to get naturalised first, then worry about living/working outside the UK.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have to join the job, with no other way out of it.

I have looked at the guidance. If I apply in Mid October, I will not have exceeded the 90 days, so should be within the rule. However, it will depend upon the interpretation of the case worker

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:57 am

RobinLondon wrote:
wel_home wrote: I got ILR under the 10 year rule in Oct. 06. I plan to apply for naturalisation in Sept. 07 using the Nationality Checking Service.
And how are you planning to apply for naturalisation in September 2007 when you only received ILR in October 2006? Are we talking about applying on September 30th for an anticipated Home Office receipt of the application in the first week of October? The HO needs to receive your application at least a year after you've been granted ILR unless you are married to a UK citizen. Are you married to a UK citizen?

There's no 28-day apply-in-advance period for naturalisation like there is when one applies for ILR. A year is a year. And you need to have been in the UK on the same day precisely 5 years before receipt of your application, unless you're married to a UK citizen. In which case it's three.

Also if you're married to a UK citizen, there's no need for you to intend that you will remain in the UK after naturalisation. But are you?
Thanks for the advice. I am not married to a British Citizen. I will have to delay the application till mid October.