ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 dependants maintenance not required?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jason32
Member of Standing

Tier 2 dependants maintenance not required?

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 am

Hi guys,

This is a great forum and has always helped me through the years, anyway can someone help me with the new situation?

I am on tier 2 at the moment working for NHS, dont have any dependants at the moment. But I've just been offered a new job and thinking about taking it. The new employer is happy to sponsor me now my question is:

I want to apply for my family as dependants too, if we all apply at the same time do I have to show maintenance funds for them too? I read on the guidance that if changing employment within tier 2 then I dont have to show any maintenance and the same goes for my family? My family is already in UK on PSW which is ending soon.

What do they mean by within tier 2? does that mean the same employer just changing jobs or a new employer would also be considered switching within tier 2?

Any help would be appreciated.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Tier 2 dependants maintenance not required?

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am

Is your spouse in the UK in their own right as. PSW?

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 am

Yes at the moment but thats expiring end of October so have to switch and become my depenant now, kids are also her dependant at the moment and they'll all have to become my dependant now.

North Pole

Post by North Pole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 am

If your spouse is currently under PSW and your Child is a dependant of your spouse, then they all have to travel back home and make a fresh application under your new tier 2 general dependant. Yes you must show £630 for each dependant. They won't be able to make an in-country application for dependant, unless your wife turns to a tier 2 general main applicant. Hope this helps!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 am

North Pole - can I advise you to read the guidance documents before you give advice.

Your dependents do not need to return home to apply!

You will however need £630 per person in the bank for three months. See the link

https://d/government/uploads/.../DEP_guidance_07-14.pdf

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am

Frontier Mole wrote:North Pole - can I advise you to read the guidance documents before you give advice.

Your dependents do not need to return home to apply!

You will however need £630 per person in the bank for three months. See the link

https://d/government/uploads/.../DEP_guidance_07-14.pdf
Ok but the guidance says in point 58 that if the tier 2 main applicant is switching within tier 2 then neither the main applicant or the dependants have to show any evidence of maintenance?

North Pole

Post by North Pole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am

Apologies if I may be wrong!

But a year ago one of my friend had same situation, he was approved tier 2 general from psw. But his wife was also on her own psw, her application to become tier 2 g dependant was refused in-country as her current leave was not in the category as dependant. So she went back home and made an application from there and got approved.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:01 am

You are not switching - your spouse is though

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:15 am

Yes but I'll be changing my employer and that means getting a new tier 2. Points 57-58? It does say if the main applicant doesn't have to show maintenance dependants are exempted too?

North Pole

Post by North Pole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 am

I'm sure a PSW spouse can not switch to tier 2 general dependant for first time with an in-country application. The dependant guidance tells for that they should be already a family members of tier 2 general. E.g if your spouse and child are already under your dependant visa, then it's ok. But in your case your Spouse is already a psw main applicant.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 am

Changing employer is completely different from first entry to the UK. If they already had PBS dependent visa it would not be a problem as you say. But that is not the case.
The principle here is that either the employer at the start covers maintance or you do at the start or from any other point thereafter.
There is no in country maintance requirement as it is deemed covered in an earlier PBS entry point. Hence you can move employers and if your family were your dependants they would continue as well.
Your dependants have not passed that test against your tier2 visa.

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:Changing employer is completely different from first entry to the UK. If they already had PBS dependent visa it would not be a problem as you say. But that is not the case.
The principle here is that either the employer at the start covers maintance or you do at the start or from any other point thereafter.
There is no in country maintance requirement as it is deemed covered in an earlier PBS entry point. Hence you can move employers and if your family were your dependants they would continue as well.
Ok now whats the solution then? I havent been maintaining my accounts because I the employer agreed to give me the maintenance letter. But now they are refusing to give any letter for my family, what should I do now :(?

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:Changing employer is completely different from first entry to the UK. If they already had PBS dependent visa it would not be a problem as you say. But that is not the case.
Ok my employer says that they'll mention on COS that they'll provide my maintenance, does that also cover the dependants? policy guidance is not very detailed and these small points are causing confusion.

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 pm

North Pole wrote:I'm sure a PSW spouse can not switch to tier 2 general dependant for first time with an in-country application. The dependant guidance tells for that they should be already a family members of tier 2 general. E.g if your spouse and child are already under your dependant visa, then it's ok. But in your case your Spouse is already a psw main applicant.
Guidance says only visitor visa holders cant apply as dependants?

repeatcell
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by repeatcell » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 pm

My understanding is that the employer should give a letter stating maintenance for you as well as your dependents. If they mention only you then you do need to show maintenance funds for your dependents.

North Pole

Post by North Pole » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 pm

Double check and make sure once again before making an application, that a PSW partner can apply under your tier 2 Dependant within UK for the first time. You don't want to waste £2k for applications knowingly to will be refused.

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm

I checked the guidance and every possible related link regarding maintenance for dependends if the main applicant is switching jobs. It says that when the maintenance is not required by the main applicant then the dependents are also not required to do so? Can someone please shed some light on this? No other conditions are mentioned on the guidance or anywhere else?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:53 am

They are not dependents on your current visa. That is the whole point. You can not include them as part of the change of employer process as they dont have tier2 dependent visas currently. In any cae when you change job your dependents do not apply for a new visa, only you do. You have met the maintenance requirement when you were granted the tier2 visa. Your dependants have never been subject to your visa conditions before and have not met the maintance requirement for the tier2 visa. They obviously did at some point for your wifes Tier1 PSW. Hence they have to apply separately to switch to tier2 and hence you will have to demonstrate maintenance.
As your employer will not issue the covering letter for your family you are stuck with having to demonstrate maintenance, I cant see a solution to that.

I tried to find some documents that related to a generally held view that once you were here on a PBS dependant visa there was no need to demonstrate maintenance again. I cant find anything in the current policy, guidance or caseworker guidance that states that is the case.

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 am

Frontier Mole wrote:They are not dependents on your current visa. That is the whole point. You can not include them as part of the change of employer process as they dont have tier2 dependent visas currently. In any cae when you change job your dependents do not apply for a new visa, only you do. You have met the maintenance requirement when you were granted the tier2 visa. Your dependants have never been subject to your visa conditions before and have not met the maintance requirement for the tier2 visa. They obviously did at some point for your wifes Tier1 PSW. Hence they have to apply separately to switch to tier2 and hence you will have to demonstrate maintenance.
As your employer will not issue the covering letter for your family you are stuck with having to demonstrate maintenance, I cant see a solution to that.

I tried to find some documents that related to a generally held view that once you were here on a PBS dependant visa there was no need to demonstrate maintenance again. I cant find anything in the current policy, guidance or caseworker guidance that states that is the case.
Ok thanks for the info I guess I'll have to find another way. But I was checking the dependant application form and in maintenance section if you select the main applicant is switching jobs then say just move to the next section, they dont ask for any other details? How do I fill the application form then?

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:46 am

Frontier Mole wrote:They are not dependents on your current visa. That is the whole point. You can not include them as part of the change of employer process as they dont have tier2 dependent visas currently. In any cae when you change job your dependents do not apply for a new visa, only you do. You have met the maintenance requirement when you were granted the tier2 visa. Your dependants have never been subject to your visa conditions before and have not met the maintance requirement for the tier2 visa. They obviously did at some point for your wifes Tier1 PSW. Hence they have to apply separately to switch to tier2 and hence you will have to demonstrate maintenance.

If you look at the dependant applicant form, if you select main applicant is switching jobs then they dont ask any maintenance questions, no conditions mentioned simply go to the next section? Does that mean its not required in my case?

jason32
Member of Standing

Post by jason32 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Ok the employer is not giving me the letter for dependents. My wife has been in UK for 6 yrs now, if she has to go back home for lets says 8 weeks and apply for entry clearance as my dependent ffrom there, would she lose her 10 yr long residency thing? Please help?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:27 am

She would be ok as the break in her leave would not constitute a change in residence. But no one can give an absolute guarantee as the only point it will be fully tested will be when she applies for ILR.