ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work in Germany...

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Saidi Reddy
Newly Registered

Work in Germany...

Post by Saidi Reddy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm

Hey Guys,

This is Saidi from India working as a Systems engineer.
I would like to visit the Germany and settle down there permanently.
I have worked on C,C++,UNIX,UNIX Internals,Networking and wokring on Free BSD, Perl,Shell,mySQL. I have around 3 years of experience.
Will I get any job realated to my skill set and can I settle down there,
If so can you guys please tell me how to proceed :) .

Do you know any consultancy names or job sites, i have searched in net but most of them are in german language...

Thank you verymuch in advance, waiting for your reply...

Regards,
Saidi

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Work in Germany...

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Saidi Reddy wrote:Do you know any consultancy names or job sites, i have searched in net but most of them are in german language...

Saidi
There's the first step - learn German! Whilst there area few places where English is the norm (ESA is one), you'll not get far without good German, Germany is a bureaucrats delight and you'll need German just for the paperwork....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Work in Germany...

Post by Christophe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Saidi Reddy wrote:Do you know any consultancy names or job sites, i have searched in net but most of them are in german language...

Saidi
There's the first step - learn German! Whilst there area few places where English is the norm (ESA is one), you'll not get far without good German, Germany is a bureaucrats delight and you'll need German just for the paperwork....
Not just that, but it's going to be unpleasant living in a country where you don't speak the language. Of course people do it all the time, but it's not fun for them. Even though people in Germany in some professions and some offices might speak perfectly good English at work, they won't generally choose to speak it after hours, and all your dealings with officialdom - not to mention more humdrum things like shopping, calling the plumber, etc - will need to be largely in German.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:49 pm

My experience in Germany has been that in general Germans aren't particularly good English speakers. Certainly not as good as the Dutch and Scandinavians.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Dawie wrote:My experience in Germany has been that in general Germans aren't particularly good English speakers. Certainly not as good as the Dutch and Scandinavians.
I would agree with that from what I've observed, although I speak German so lack of English isn't really a problem.

Even in Scandanavia, however, I have come across people whose English is, shall we say, rudimentary: better than my Swedish and Norwegian, certainly, but not up to anything much past "Hello" and "Goodbye" and vague gesturing in response to simple questions. This is particularly true with older people, but also sometimes with young people outside the cities. (The heart-breaking part is that they always look so embarrassed about their lack of English: heart-breaking because there is no reason why they ought to speak English anyway. But none of that helps much with the communication.)

ma_siddiqui
Newly Registered

Post by ma_siddiqui » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:48 pm

Yes, I agree with you.

I have worked in Germany for 5 years and as a immigrant it was really tuff in Germany without the knowledge of german language. It was a nightmare for me and i had to learn german (which is really a tuff language).

People may speak english in the companies which are international in nature or are of US/UK origin. But you will fnd it difficult to cope up with your landlord/plumber/Shoppers/local people etc. It could become a nightmare for you.
I would recommend that if you want to live in germany permanently, it would be better if you could try to learn german language first. It could take 3-5 years to learn the language

Praetorian
Newly Registered

Question

Post by Praetorian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:52 am

Hey Ma_ where are you originally from exactly? I'm from the U.S. and I'm interested in moving to, and working in Germany. I'm quite confused as to how the rules go for work permits (not highly skilled). And also does anyone know if Germany offers dual citizenship with U.S. nationals?