ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 Year Route Extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

srichar3
Newly Registered

5 Year Route Extension

Post by srichar3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Wife came here in January 2013 under the rules that came in in July 2012 (5 Year Route) she got issued with the 33 month visa that expires October 2015. Whats the earliest she can apply for the extension? seems to be a significant lack of information on the official website. Have read as long as less than 6 months remaining on current visa then you can apply but have also be told only 28 days before the 2.5 year in UK point but cannot seem to find this stated in official literature.

Any advice or pointer where this info can be found from an official source?

Steve
Last edited by srichar3 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Re: 5 Year Route Extension

Post by srichar3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 pm

This is what is in the guidance notes

"25. WHEN TO APPLY
You and any dependants applying with you should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay
in the UK. We encourage you to apply 28 days before the expiry date."

But has zero info on how early you can apply, pretty useless really.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Does anyone know if the extension is also for 27 months? I guess there isn't anyone around yet who has this extension, and when it comes to applying for settlement at the end of 5 years will you have to have completed 5 years in UK before you apply? or will you be able to apply 28 days before your 5 years is up?

I suppose when deciding when to apply the extension then these factors need to be taken into account to ensure you can get the full 5 years in on the initial visa and the extension.

Steve

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Your wife can apply 28 days before she has spent 30 months here.

In total the applicant needs to have been in the UK for 60 months, so the extension will be for another 30 months and again she will be able to apply for settlement within 28 days of that visa expiring.

Also, if I remember rightly, you can book 6 weeks ahead of that 28 day period.

srichar3
Newly Registered

Post by srichar3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Can you tell me where this info is because on the guidance notes for form FLR-M which is the form used for the extension it only states

"5. When to apply
You and any children under 18 applying with you should apply before the end of your/their
permitted stay in the UK."

Also the original Visa is for 33 months is it official the extension is only 30 months?

Thanks

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Extending your stay on any visa can only be done within 28 days; I don't where this is in writing for the spouse visa but it's always been the case for others.

The initial visa is 33 months but your wife will only need to be in the UK for 30 months to extend... applicants are given an extra 3 months to prepare to move to the UK.