ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Provisional drivers license - slightly confused..

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scoobydoolondon

Provisional drivers license - slightly confused..

Post by scoobydoolondon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:35 pm

I want to apply for a Provisional drivers license for my wife - the only thing that I'm unsure of is the 180/185 day rule.

My wife entered UK in Feb 2013 and left in Feb 2014 (1 year and 3 days). She then got a Fiance Visa and entered UK on 5th April 2014. Last week she was granted her 30 month Spouse Visa and today her Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) arrived.

In light of the above, is she entitled to apply for a Provisional license right away?

aiza78601

Re: Provisional drivers license - slightly confused..

Post by aiza78601 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:59 pm

yes she can apply for provisional

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:11 am

Really? That's great..

What about the 185 day rule, ie must be resident for 185 days before applying?

aiza78601

Post by aiza78601 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47 am

no its required 180 days visa and permission to spend minimum 180 days in uk,not after spending 180 days

any one who have permission to stay more then 180 days can apply

aiza78601

Post by aiza78601 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:50 am

i am sorry i had a mistake

read it now
If you want to take a British driving test you must be a resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been a permanent resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must be a resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months before your application for a driving test and full licence.

So this restriction is for the driving test, and only for someone who was a permanent resident in another EC/EEA state.

The application form is less clear:

"You can only get a GB driving licence if you are normally resident in the United Kingdom. To be normally resident you must usually live in the United Kingdom for 185 days in each calendar year"

The usually word indicates that the second sentence just tries to explain what is usually a resident but it is not a complete definition.

The first statement is more important and it requires just being a resident. An immigrant can be a resident from day one (e.g. for tax purposes).

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 am

Just to close off this thread - the provisional driving license arrived yesterday!

Thanks all