ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance Visa to British passport milestones

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scoobydoolondon

Fiance Visa to British passport milestones

Post by scoobydoolondon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Under current legislation, do I have the correct milestones for my wife's route to British passport.

Here's our story thus far:

1] my 'wife' arrives in UK on Visit visa in Feb 2013
2] we meet, get engaged and have the religious ceremony in Dec 2013. From this point, we start living together.
3] she returns to Pakistan in Feb 2014. I go to Pakistan and submit VAF4A with her for Fiance Visa in March 2014, visa is granted the following week.
4] we both return to UK in April 2014
5] Registry marriage takes place in UK in June 2014
6] end-Aug 2014 submit FLR(M) to switch to Spouse Visa. 30 month Spouse Visa granted until 1st March 2017.

Looking ahead, am I correct in the next set of milestones:

7] submit FLR(M) again, but this time to extend leave as Spouse. This has to be done with 28 days of existing leave expiring on 1st March 2017. All being well, leave will be extended to 1st Sept 2019.

8] Apply for ILR on SET(M) within 28 days of 1st Sept 2019. Hopefully, ILR granted with no expiry.

9] after a further 1 year, apply for Citizenship after 1st Sept 2020. Partake in the ceremony.

10] after Naturalisation as a British Citizen has been granted, apply for British passport.

I'm unclear on the citizenship route and how soon it can be taken. I've read it can be taken after 3 years and elsewhere I've read it must be 1 year after receiving ILR so slightly confused.

Also, what is the reference date? Is it from when we received residency, ie the date we entered UK on Fiance Visa or when we were granted the 30 month Spouse Visa?

thanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Fiance Visa to British passport milestones

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Your schedule is correct, apart from if you hold British nationality your wife will be able to apply for British Citizenship immediately after being granted ILR. That's assuming she meets the standard requirements.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Yes, I'm British since birth, so you're saying once ILR is granted, Citizenship and British passport can be followed immediately.

So we're looking towards Sept 2019 when this saga can be concluded.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Under current rules, yes that's correct.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.